Do people treat you like you are sick?

MaryContrary80
on 11/19/12 10:39 pm
VSG on 09/04/12

So I have to say that people's reactions to me having the Sleeve have been SO positive. Aside from a couple of people who just really don't understand, everyone has been awesome and cheering me on. I totally have to say that I didn't expect such a positive reaction. Anyway, that being said, I also get a weird reaction. People treat me like I'm sick. Like they say things like "are you sure you can do this?" "are you really up for that?" "are you feeling okay?" "don't overdo it" I don't really mind it, I think it's sweet and caring, but it's just weird because (aside from the fact that I'm actually sick right now) I feel better than I've EVER felt. I have more energy I feel healthy and fit and like I can do anything, so I think it's so funny that people think I would feel bad. I did this to feel good, and I do! 

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/19/12 10:46 pm - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

That's just one of the strange reactions you'll get during this journey. I have people here at work ask me all the time 'how much have you lost' or 'don't you think you should stop losing yet, you're looking skinny.' LOL It just makes me smile and say I'm doing fine or I'm right on track with my plan. It's a great feeling though isn't it?! 

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

VerucaSallt
on 11/19/12 10:50 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with
I've gotten that, my mother freaking out about my 600 calorie diet... like she thought I was going to die.

melbee
on 11/20/12 12:03 am
VSG on 10/17/12

EVERY time I see one of my siblings, especially my brother, he says "how are you feeling?" in that really sort of depressive, syrupy way. Like I am made of glass if he looks at me weird I may crumble or break in two. Dude, it's been over a month, I am not dying.

Though, I will whip out the line, I can't lift over 10lbs to my husband when I need to.  My mom was at my house last week and cleaned my kitchen for no reason, then proceeded to tell me to go lay down, I didn't complain. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HW 251    SW 236    CW 191    GW: 145 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ladytiff
on 11/20/12 3:34 am - PA
VSG on 10/17/12
Lmbo! you and I actually had our surgery on the same day! Im lmbo becz i do the same thing. With both the hubby and mom. In our defense, we r still healing!
SuzyNZ
on 11/20/12 1:17 am
VSG on 09/17/12
My brother was like that, but he's a wimp at the best of times. Was very concerned about me and kept calling me in the few days before surgery to see if I was ok. I didn't really want to talk about it at that stage as I was nervous and prone to crying at the drop of a hat!...lol

I banned my family from the hospital as I wanted to deal with my emotions myself (which once the surgery was over, I didn't actually have, as I felt great!!), but my brother clearly needed to check on me and make sure I was actually alive and it wasn't a fake me texting everyone!!...lol

So he turns up at the hospital unannounced to check on me and given his rather funny sense of humour, arrives with a "It's A Boy!" Balloon. What a nutter!!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Most Active