Time off work?

Kelli M.
on 11/28/12 4:00 am - CA
VSG on 12/04/12

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site and super excited to be here. My surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday, December 4th. I'm pretty worried about taking time off work. I'm a barista at Starbucks, so my job is fairly active. Do you have any thoughts on how long I should take off? I'd really appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

~Kelli

Kelli

mimij
on 11/28/12 4:27 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Hi Kelli,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I was able to take 4 weeks so I did. I could have gone back in 2 weeks. Everyone is different. Some people go back within 5-7 days and are tired but can do it. You will be tired for the first couple weeks after anesthesia and body needing rest to heal properly.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

MuttLover
on 11/28/12 4:30 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I am in my 50s (LOL, so older and less energetic!) and have a desk job.  I took two weeks (spanned Thanksgiving -- and lots of people are out anyway!).  I am going back half time tomorrow and Friday, then back to full time on Monday.

I think a lot depends on your overall energy and how you bounce back from surgery.  Also, there is a lift restriction for a couple of weeks.  I think less than 10 pounds, or something like that. 

I had an easy time with surgery, and getting my fluids in, but I think you'd need at least a couple of weeks, unless you don't work 8 hour shifts.  I found that my brain is still a little slow and I tire easily.  

You might not really know until after you have surgery -- I left tomorrow and Friday "open" and let them know that if I didn't feel up to it, I'd wait until Monday.  

The thing is that everyone is different!  Best of luck!

mrocks
on 12/3/12 9:45 am

Kelli,

I was back at it a week later, but did find my self winded and out of breath very frequently