GASTRIC SLEEVE AND REFLUX AND WEIGHT GAIN

Sharzi
on 11/29/12 4:42 am - Cape Town, South Africa

Hi folks

I am four years out with my sleeve and have been suffering terrible reflux. I have also started to gain weight and am now about 10kgs over my lowest weight of 72kgs. I was 97kgs to begin with so had a 25kg weight loss.

My surgeon has recommended a revision to mini gastric bypass.

Any comments?

I am concerned about dumping, vitamin and mineral deficiencies etc.

Lotsaluff                    Thank you Lord for this incredible gift!! I love you!!!
Sharzi                                                                 9 lbs lost pre-op 

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/12 4:50 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Are you on any PPI's like Prilosec or Nexium for your reflux? If so, is it helping? I am sorry you are experiencing regain. Any insight into your eating habits or any other things that may contribute to that? I am so sorry you are going through this. I have heard that reflux is "cured" with gastric bypass but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Sharzi
on 11/29/12 4:56 am - Cape Town, South Africa

Hello Curiouskat

I am on something called TopZole and it does help - but i figure if I can get a revision which will deal with the problem and help with weight loss at the same time then it may be a good idea.

I am able to eat more and more as time goes on - and while I still think I eat far far less than i used to, i am not able to get losing again.

I don't exercise at all and i am sure that has something to do with it but I hate getting hot and sweaty!

Lotsaluff                    Thank you Lord for this incredible gift!! I love you!!!
Sharzi                                                                 9 lbs lost pre-op 

rhearob
on 11/29/12 4:55 am - TN

Have you tried a back to basics approach?  Making sure that you are following the simple rules first - Group, Logging, measuring portions?  Your regain could be something as simple as grazing behavior or bad food choices  that these tools could help you recognize and control.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Sharzi
on 11/29/12 4:59 am - Cape Town, South Africa

Hi there

I wouldnt even know what to do to go back to basics - it seems so long ago. And yes I do graze. At the moment am sitting in bed grazing on dry crispbread.

rhearob
on 11/29/12 5:04 am - TN

I think you may have answered your own question.  Start by applying the simple rules again:

1.  No drinking with meals starting 30 minutes before eating to 30 minutes after.

2.  Log Every bite in your food journal BEFORE eating it (I use MyFitnessPal)

3.  Measure your portions for your meals

4.  Eat dense lean proteins first before veggies or fruits.

5.  Weigh Daily or weekly for accountability.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

acbbrown
on 11/29/12 4:58 am - Granada Hills, CA

Is the revision to deal with the acid reflux or the weight gain? Ive delt with acid problems for 17 months now and my surgeon has repeatedly offered me a revision to a bypass but I told him unless im starting to look at erosion from the acid, I wont be signing up for that. I couldnt live with the bypass unless my life was at risk...but that' me. 

My acid makes me hunger, I try to eat in response to the hunger. Not only does it not solve my hunger issues, I end up just consuming more calories than I need. It would be real easy for me to gain weight if i didnt track. 

Id recommend trying PPIs, or changing them up, changing doses, making dietary changes to deal with the reflux...anything but a revision. But that's me. 

Good luck to you!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/29/12 5:08 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I am with Alison. And if a revision was absolutely necessary then only to DS. I have read too many issues with the bypass...and the benefits of the bypass malabsorption only last 2 years tops. I would consult a DS surgeon, look to see whether or not you have a hiatal hernia, look into resleeving even...before bypass, mini or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

desertmom
on 11/29/12 5:09 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi

Just a thought.10kg sounds like something normal girls sometime have to lose fter not being vigilant about the food and exercise for a few months.

And here comes the part that no one wants to hear,or I might just be plain wrong.It surely does seem to me that mot longer post op sleeves that start having severe reflux also have an increase in their weight.Might it be,and this is just a suggestion,possible that eating more and eating different now is the cause for the reflux?

Have you tried getting back to basics?

PPI in the morning and at night.
No food after 8 or 2 hours before bedtime if bedtime is before 10.
No acid forming food like tomato,strawberries,pineapple,onions,garlic,coffee and caffinated tea.(for me most fruit as well, crystal light gives acid in fact anything with preservatives )

Then smaller portions of protein 5 times a day just to jumpstart and detox.

My friend with GB have terrible acid.Dont know where u go from there if that isnt the fix the dr seem to think it might be.

What about giving it all you can say for January and Feb and then decide.But track your food,log your food weigh your food.10kg's you can lose like the girl next door and in that process you might just find what stops the reflux for you.

I had to manage reflux for 6 years with the band.Had to tweak meds and food all the time but did it without any damage to my esophagus.It is horrible and hard to do but it still seems better than another surgery.

And I know people dont always want advice like this but what if this aggrevating post of mine can just help you to start thinking differently again and you can find a way to avoid another even more drastic surgery?

Please let us know how you are doing and please update your progress regularly.It also helps us to change our perspective again when we stay in touch with others that understand what we are going through.

desertmom
on 11/29/12 5:26 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Ok,we all posted at the same time and I see your replies now.

Here is the tough thing though.You might be ok for the first 4 years after the mini GP but it will take the exact same commitment to keep the weight off with the sleeve,to keep it off with the GB.Diet and exercise.Thin normal people,especially women,have to do the same to not gain weight as they get older.

As for not knowing how to get back to basics or on track,go to weight less.They will help in a jiffy.

Their just is no quick fix to weight issues.Most adults battle it somewhat,be it 2kg's 5 or 10...it is just a battle we have to keep fighting.

O,and very off topic.We are going to Cape Town in December for the first time in 11 years since we became expats.Super excited and hoping for fab weather!

Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views