GASTRIC SLEEVE AND REFLUX AND WEIGHT GAIN

Sharzi
on 11/29/12 5:36 am - Cape Town, South Africa

Yes you are probably all right! maybe I should try getting back to basics and getting things under control. I could just kick myself for taking things easy and allowing things to get out of hand.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Cape Town!!

Lotsaluff                    Thank you Lord for this incredible gift!! I love you!!!
Sharzi                                                                 9 lbs lost pre-op 

desertmom
on 11/29/12 5:52 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Thanx Sharzi,we will enjoy it.We are from JHB but lived in the Cape for years.

And think about it.Its not 25kg's.Its only 10.Just start managing the food to control the acid and the reflux will most prob vanish.Another thing,Nexium works really well for the early morning reflux.20mg in the morning And 20 at night.

O,and I saw on your profile you were a vegetarian.Are you still one?

Cut the red wine completely as well if you are into red wine!

Ooo,cant wait to do the wine route...lol

Good luck again!

Kat1313
on 1/28/13 10:23 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

I have severe gastric reflux, to the point that it has damaged my esophagus (Barrett's esophagus).  Before it was diagnosed, I often felt like I was really, really hungry even shortly after I had eaten a normal amount (I'm still preop).  It was weird, because I knew I had eaten recently, but my stomach was telling me I was hungry so naturally I ate.  And it continued in this pattern until I finally developed an ulcer and was in so much pain I went to a gastroenterologist to find out what was wrong.  I never, ever had the typical symptoms of reflux - no burning, no heartburn, no acid coming up in my throat - nothing.  Just that gnawing hunger.

Maybe you should see a gastroenterologist just to get checked out, before you proceed to further surgeries.

Kathy

Sharzi
on 1/28/13 1:09 pm - Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Kathy

I have seen my gastro guy and because I have had the sleeve op I cannot have the normal op that would alleviate the reflux problem. The only thing he can do for me is convert the sleeve to a mini=bypass but that costs big bucks and my medical aid won't pay for it. I was never warned that the sleeve can cause this - it would have played an important part in my decision making process. If you already have this problem I would not recommend the sleeve for you.

Regards

Sharon

Lotsaluff                    Thank you Lord for this incredible gift!! I love you!!!
Sharzi                                                                 9 lbs lost pre-op 

Greatadvise
on 6/11/14 10:14 pm

I know this is late but you may want to be checked for parasites. They can cause a lot of reflex and sugar cravings. I think I may have had them and I treated it with eating raw garlic.

MacMadame
on 6/12/14 1:24 am - Northern, CA

I don't know what country you are in but in the US, the mini-gastric bypass is not an approved surgery because it is more dangerous than bypass and has more complications. Unless your surgeon is using this term to mean he would do a modified RnY on you that is modified in the normal way that it is modified for people who have the sleeve -- i.e., they don't make a pouch but keep your sleeve stomach and just re-route the intestines -- I would be very careful about having the true mini-bypass. Too many problems down the road!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active