Hiatal hernia fixed during my sleeve.

wmubronco03
on 12/1/12 8:01 am - MI
VSG on 11/30/12
So my incisions only ache a little and every now and then I feel a gas bubble move around and I'm in a lot of pain for a sec or two. But I wonder if the pain I feel from swallowing is from my hernia repair. Everything I swallow hurts like hell as it enters my stomach. Right by the hernia repair. Thoughts? Anyone else have a hiatal hernia fixed during their sleeve?

Rita M.
on 12/1/12 8:19 am - Webster, MA

Hi there,

actually I have 5 incisions and only one really bothers me, but yes I have the same problem when I swallow, it hurts like hell going down and then once it lands in the stomach also. Lots of gurgling sounds also. But it will get better I hope. I am only 2 days post-op and from what I read it is suppose to be better in about 4-5 days. Keeping fingers crossed for both you and me.

Hugs,

Rita

TANTALUMTEDDY
on 12/1/12 8:38 am - Australia

I also have some pain with swallowing. I just imagine that right now my tummy is working overtime to try and heal itself which means its inflammed, puffy, swollen and irritated after surgery. So I just try to remember he is trying to heal, and given some days I am sure the pain will subside somewhat :)

karismommy231
on 12/1/12 8:41 am, edited 12/1/12 8:42 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I had a surprise HH repair during my VSG. it does make swallowing a little more sore, Especially when whatever is going on there hits the top of the stomach. Now that I am on pureeds I am noticing the repair hurting a little more too. Thought it went away but I am only 3 1/2 weeks out. So in sum the HH repair will make you more sore. It is normal. GL with your healing and welcome to the losers bench!!

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

dcsabrina
on 12/1/12 8:43 am - MD

I also had a hernia repair done at the same time as my sleeve, but didn't have any really bad throat soreness -though my voice changed for almost 2 weeks post op.  I will say though that after my band surgery, I had a horrible sore throat that lasted longer than my incision pain.  So this time I spent a fair bit of time talking to my anesthesiologist and he promised me he could use some gentler techniques so I think that's why it was better this time.

Lap band July 2008, revised to VSG November 2012.

Italian-Princess
on 12/1/12 8:50 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hiatal hernia repairs are commonly done with the sleeve surgery.  They repaired mine -- didn't even know I had a problem.  I wouldn't have known they repaired that hernia if they hadn't told me.  I had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time.....that one I was aware of!  There are over 50 people in my surgeon's support group -- about 80% of them  had a hiatal hernia repaired when they got their sleeves.  I didn't notice anything with swallowing.......but we are all different.

Good luck with your journey..........each day gets better and better.

Ree

ckpointchickie
on 12/1/12 9:59 am - IN
VSG on 11/20/12

Hi there,   11 days post op here and yes, I had surprise hiatal hernia repair with my surgery.  I had the same gurgling but it did not hurt when I swallowed, it just felt like everything hit a road block.  Still working through popsicles, clear broth, some nice teas, protein shakes and sneaking in a little bit of mashed carrots, mashed bananas, anything like tha****ered down by fat free milk. I wonder now if the violent hiccups I used to have all the time will be gone.  How weird to find out I had a hernia I didn't know about!

prairie-dog-girl
on 12/2/12 11:32 am

Sleeved 10-29.Had a large surprise hiatal hernia repaired too.I  had no incision pain,but, woke in recovery with an elephant sitting on my chest for about 24 hours.It also hurt my chest for about 1 1/2 weeks to swallow food or liquids. The surgeon said it would pass and it did. I don't know if you have GERD, but, my surgeon said  with weight loss and hernia repair, it would most  likely go away. Hang in there, it will pass.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/2/12 2:09 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Had a HH repair also during sleeve surgery. Didn't feel any pain swallowing. I am just beginning to think I am weird...coz I didn't feel anything within 12 hrs of surgery and still don't 8 weeks after. Like I never had surgery apart from the awesome restriction.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views