I'm scared of being 6 months post op...

MaryContrary80
on 2/7/13 12:34 am
VSG on 09/04/12

Ok. I'm 5 months post op and I'm at about 60% EWL. I have it in my brain for some reason that my window is going to start to close once I hit 6 months. Also, I don't follow my surgeons plan. They want me to eat closer to 1200 calories and they think if I don't I will plateau and I won't be able to get the rest of the weight off. However, they also told me that I'm way ahead of their other patients so I guess I feel conflicted. I have read a lot and feel like the 600-800 calorie plan is more effective and it's what I've been doing from the get go, but after speaking to them I just feel confused. I want to make it to goal so badly! I guess the whole thing that makes me feel confused is WHY they think it's better for me to eat more... I mean they are doctors and nurses and have been doing this longer than me so don't they know better? I have read the research on starvation mode, but where does their research come from? I mean they must have something that makes them believe in their plan? I guess I should have asked more about that. All I want is to do the right thing for me, and now I'm wondering what that is. I think I'm too hard on myself. I honestly spend a lot of time wondering if I could do a lot better and finding ways of staying motivated and recently I do feel like I have found my "fire" again and I've been pretty content, but now this last follow up has me questioning myself. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/13 1:16 am

You are doing great.  I am sorry that you are conflicted now, and what makes this really hard, is that once you start hitting stalls, (and you most likely will, the further out you get), the more conflicted you are going to become.  This in turn might make you choose to do things that will be counter productive.  I wish I had a magic word that would help you find your strength, make the right decision for you and stick with it until you get to goal. Just grist for the mill, most of the PM's that I get have to do with people eating 1200 calories a day and stalling around the 6-8 months.  It is really, really hard for them to go to 600-800 calories after they have been eating 1200.  I am pulling for you to make your goal, no matter what you decide to do. 

MaryContrary80
on 2/7/13 2:00 am
VSG on 09/04/12

Thanks for your reply, Elina. I intend to stay with my current plan, but I just feel more "off" about it than I did a couple of days ago.  I am not one to go against medical advice, but I'm also not one to follow a plan that I don't believe in, that's really where the conflict comes from, I guess. A part of me had hopes of losing all of my weight within the first 6 months, but I guess that was a bit over-ambitious. Not that being over ambitious is a bad thing!  I know more stalls are ahead, but I've been a patterned staller from the get go (2-3 weeks without a loss, and then a huge loss over the following week). I've kind of learned to worry more about my plan instead of the scale (I still check it every day though). Anyway, I'm going to keep pushing, and I just have to trust that when I chose this plan in the beginning that it was for the right reasons. 

Oh, I also wanted to thank you for the advice you gave me about making weekly goals. I've been doing that for the last 3 weeks and it has been very helpful and motivating for me! It also got me new workout pants, a new wallet, and as long as I stick with my exercise this week, it will get me a new kindle book! :) 

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/13 2:07 am

Awesome!  Just so you know, I had the exact same pattern as you do in weight loss and it continued to go exactly the same way, all the way until my goal.  I hope the same is true for you.  I totally get the idea of not wanting to go against medical advice.  It is pretty hard for me to suggest that someone do that in the first place, on the other hand.....  well, I think you get it without me having to spell it out.  All I can tell you is that if you ever came to my area and went with me to my doctor's support group, you would be surrounded by other people who followed this same program and are now happily  at goal.  You would see a whole room full of very inspiring individuals, who are really pumped up about their results.  It is much easier to believe in the program in that environment.  The fact that your medical team seems to think you area ahead of the game is pretty routine too.  You would be surprised at how often we hear that from other patients from other programs.  I wonder why that is....hmmm.  :) 

MaryContrary80
on 2/7/13 8:19 am
VSG on 09/04/12

:) Thanks. You're the best! 

Shagdoll
on 2/7/13 1:51 am, edited 2/7/13 1:52 am

From my own personal experience in my losing phase, restricting calories as much as you can until you reach goal is the way to go.  I just think it's better to do your best to get the weight off first and then figure out how many calories you need to maintain.  Even I am still trying to figure it out.  Mainly because some days I try to stay around 700-800 if I need to drop a few pounds but 1200-1400 seem to be my maintenance point but my weight bounces around 5-6 pounds all the time.  It does get harder to restrict calories the further out you are.  If you've already been keeping your calories low and you've been losing at a decent rate then I would keep that up but that's just my personal opinion.

Congrats on your success so far!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

MaryContrary80
on 2/7/13 2:03 am
VSG on 09/04/12

Thank you, Jenn!! I really appreciate your advice. It makes me feel better. I think it makes a lot of sense. I mean my brain tells me that increasing calories = slower weight loss, not faster, right? 

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/13 2:16 am

Here is my two cents: Stick with your 600 to 800 calorie plan. There is a lot of evidence to indicate that for WLS patients (not normies) this is the most successful route to goal weight. Also, it was shared at my support group meeting the other night that the ASMBS published a paper that cited their findings that rapid weight loss was maintained just as easily as slow weight loss. Actually, more people got to goal and maintained goal by losing weight rapidly than not.

Obesity is not a static condition and the medical field continues to learn more about "cures" for obesity by the month. Your team may not be as up on the latest bariatric research and that's okay. I think what you are doing - being proactive- and doing what's right for you is commendable. That's what I did. I think you know your truth. You just need some time to be comfortable with it.

MaryContrary80
on 2/7/13 8:18 am
VSG on 09/04/12

Thank you, I think you are right and I appreciate your comments. 

frisco
on 2/7/13 3:03 am

Your doing GREAT !!!!

Go Go Go !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active