Pre-Op Diet is for the BIRDS!

Bekahre7
on 12/2/12 1:24 pm

My VSG surgery is scheduled for 12/11/12 and I'm currently on the 10-day pre-op liquid diet: 5-6 8oz. protein drinks, water, and any other sugar free beverages.  5-6???  I can barely get 2 down in one day. And I think I am going to hate Pure Protein Chocolate Shakes within the next 2 days. But besides that, it's really upsetting my stomach. Any suggestions?

Calking
on 12/2/12 1:34 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Is this a plan that your surgeon or nutritionist had you on?  I mean specifically Pure Protein Chocolate Shakes.  Or are you just supposed to be on a purely liquid protein diet?  There is no food allowed at all?

I ask these questions as I was on a really good plan that seemed to work well for me and wouldn't mind telling you but am not wanting you to go against your plan as told by your surgeon.  In other words could you say exactly what your surgeon or nutritionist wants you to do ... their specific instructions.  That will help others give advice based on your instructions.  

If all else fails you can always talk with your surgeon and or nutritionist about changing it a little bit.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Bekahre7
on 12/3/12 12:13 am

The instructions say: "Beginning 10 days before you surgery date, you must drink 8 oz of high protein beverages 5-6 times a day.    You may also drink unsweetened and artificially sweetened beverages such as water, coffee, tea, sugar-free Kool-Aid, Propel, sugar-free jello, Fruit2 O, broth or bouillon, or Crystal Light. Do no drink any alcohol."

I've been drinking water and tea, too...

Antimony40
on 12/2/12 6:47 pm - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

keep going--it WILL be worth it!  I started my liquid diet on thanksgiving, and surgery is this thursday.  Guarantee my pre-op liquid drink is work than yours (Optifast)!  Disgusting!!  But the results have been great, and I need it to shrink my liver...2 weeks of hell for a lifetime of healthy? YES PLEASE!  And after surgery, you can switch to another shake...

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

nanarama
on 12/2/12 7:56 pm - PA
VSG on 07/09/12

If your plan allows it, try some different protein shakes.  I always liked the Muscle Milk Lite.  Good protein for low calories and I like the taste.  But as you may have already read on here at some point .... don't buy too much of any one brand.  Your tastes and tolerance might be different after surgery.  Mine did not change but it has for many other folks.

Good luck!

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

Saukratees
on 12/2/12 8:43 pm - GA
VSG on 11/14/12

Yeah, it sucked but it is worth it!

i was allowed to have Jello-O (sugar free)

EVeckley75
on 12/2/12 9:13 pm - CA
Wow.. 10 days?? I had to only do 2 days per op liquids.. I had surgery on 11/27 and I feel great! Still on liquids for one more week but then I get to eat soft foods which makes me happy!! Haha.. Good luck!
Bekahre7
on 12/3/12 12:15 am

I move to a clear liquid diet the day before surgery.  It's kind of interesting how doctors have different requirements. 

vdub1968
on 12/3/12 2:26 am - OH
VSG on 01/28/13 with
On December 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM Pacific Time, Bekahre7 wrote:

I move to a clear liquid diet the day before surgery.  It's kind of interesting how doctors have different requirements. 

Im on the same liquid diet for 14 days and it sucks but it will be worth it for sure. Hang in there.

Calking
on 12/3/12 3:40 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Wow.  Your on a pretty strict pre op.  I can't imagine not eating any food for 10 days prior.  My surgeon had me do the Optifast 800 shakes.  They come in the standard three flavors of chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla.  The issue with these is that you can't get them at the grocery store.  You have to go to their website to find a local distibuter such as a doctor's office or other such weight loss clinic.  My plan was a little different in that I had 3 of those per day with a protein bar in between them.  Eat or drink something every 3 hours.

You could go to Walmart and get some powdered protein mix.  A lot of people get the Body Fortress brand.  It usually sells for about $15 and has a variety of flavors.  Cookies and Creme, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla (I think they even have a Peanut Butter one).

My nutritionist said that when you look for these you want the following guidelines ...

1) 5 grams or less Fat

2) 5 grams or less Carbs

3) Whey protein

4) About 24 grams of Protein per serving.

Body Fortress has a $15 mix as I mentioned above.  There is also a little more expensive one that is Whey Protein Isolate.  That one is a better protein.  The other thing is that you get about 30 servings from one container.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views