Two Questions at Six Days Post-Op?

Sleeveless
on 12/2/12 3:52 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Can anyone share thoughts/experiences regarding these two issues?

1. Can I overdrink my sleeve during my first two weeks on liquids, or later, for that matter? I understand the dangers of overeating my sleeve. Can I accidentally drink too much at a time during my first two weeks and accidentally stretch out my sleeve or rupture the staple line?

2. About how long did it take for your belly swelling to go down? I've lost the five pounds I gained during surgery and five pounds after that. But my upper and lower abdomen are bulging as if I were in my seventh month of pregnancy still. That is not what I had before surgery!

Thanks for any input!

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/12 4:06 pm

You can't overdrink your sleeve.  However, you can take a gulp and drink too fast and make yourself uncomfortable.  I would encourage you to sip small amounts all day long.  But aside from the speed of drinking, you can't drink too much.  ( OK, actually you can, but it would have nothing to do with your sleeve, just that anyone can drink too much and there have even been cases where people drank too much water and died, but I doubt very much that this is what you are talking about here).  You have a fully functioning pyloric valve, so the liquid will just go through you and there will be no damage done.  Of course, as always keep an eye on the calories and carbs. 

I can't really answer your second question, as I don't remember.  Sorry.

Sleeveless
on 12/2/12 4:07 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thanks, Elina! That's very reassuring! :-)

SuzyNZ
on 12/2/12 4:37 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
It was at least 10 days before my "marshmellow woman" swelling went down. I honestly felt like the Goodyear Blimp! Ankle bones, gone, knee bones, gone. Total puffball I was!!....lol

I promise, it does go away eventually

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Sleeveless
on 12/2/12 5:13 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Suzy, thank goodness! I'm embarrassed to leave the house looking like this! LOL

Leetay333
on 12/2/12 7:37 pm - Waldorf, MD
Great question. I was thinking the same thing, especially with question number 2. My stomach now doesn't look like it did before surgery either and I'm 8 days post op.

mokee
on 12/2/12 7:49 pm - OH

I am 5 days post-op and my stomach looks like a mountain range.  My feet, ankles, face and god knows what else are all swollen.  Pre-op I lost 15 lbs and ankles and feet were very small now they are swelling more everyday.  Apparently this must be normal according to you all.  I sure hope it goes away along with the pain.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/2/12 7:51 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
You can't overdrink your sleeve. It's good if you are getting more than the 64 oz in during one day. But small sips still.. no gulps or it may hurt - it may not also - depends! I never had pain while drinking and while I took small sips after a few days - maybe 3 or 4 I was able to take normal swallows of liquids. No guzzling still but drinking normally, yes.
Don't know the answer to your 2nd question.. I wasn't swollen at all. Didn't gain an ounce post op and started losing on day 2 after surgery basically... again, my luck!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

suzie2241
on 12/2/12 10:29 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

My stomach was also very bloated.  It probably took a little over a week for that to go down.  I attributed it to the surgery, gas and the fluids they used for irrigation.

It does go away

Most Active