To Sleeve or Not to Sleeve....

icca1982
on 12/3/12 11:54 pm, edited 12/4/12 6:20 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/04/13

Hello everyone,

I'm new to OH and am still in the process of choosing which surgery I'm most interested in.  I've attended a seminar but haven't had my consultation with the surgeon yet and I still have to complete my three month supervised diet.  Prior to attending the seminar, I was really wanting the VSG, however, the surgeon said that weight loss expectancy with the sleeve is 60% excess body weight after two years vs a 75% loss after a year with the RNY.  I've read a bunch of posts on here and the statistics associated with the sleeve seem to be extremely conservative to me.  I'm most interested in sleeve vs RNY because of the malabsorption issues associated with RNY.  I am currently 335 lbs and I'm 5'1.  Any advice is welcome. Thank you all so much! Reading about your journeys has been extremely inspirational to me.

Jessica

suzie2241
on 12/4/12 12:00 am
VSG on 11/02/12

Hi! Welcome!

I chose the sleeve over RNY mostly for the malabsorption. I did not want to have to take so many supplements for the rest of my life.

I also did not want to have any problems with dumping syndrome.

I know they say 60% with the sleeve, but I have seen and read about so many who lost ALL their excess weight; so I know it can be done - I just have to work it! :)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/4/12 12:00 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Statistics are what they are.. a bunch of averages. There are lots of people who have attained 100% EWL with the sleeve. Each surgery has its pro's and con's (although I haven't found any con's with the sleeve yet... I am 8 weeks post op today) and each person's health history and food history/weight loss attempts is different so trying to match that to a surgery type is best done in consultation with a qualified surgeon and/or your family doctor. Personally, at your weight I would not have gone for either VSG or RnY but the DS rather. Now if you want to look at stats - that is the Rolls Royce of WLS. But it may not be right for everyone.
I am very happy with my VSG so far. I am confident I will lose all of my excess weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

rissa1224
on 12/4/12 12:02 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Welcome!! I have my VSG tomorrow, YES tomorrow. Yikes!

I was indecisive as well. I was looking at the band first, then with my BMI being so high it wasnt a fit for me. I know personally 2 people, friends of mine, who have the RNY and regret getting the sleeve. Well one RNY friend had hers 10 years ago and Is currently tryin to get the sleeve, my other friend said she wish she chose the sleeve. There are other "issues" they have that go along with the rny, like the malabsorption and dumping syndrome, i dont want to have to be stuck with that. Also you are bypassing your stomach, i dont want that. I want to still be able to use my stomach. I feel its 'safer'. My highest was 326 and I am a little under 5'3. I am now 307 (gained a few). It is up to you in the end, but continue doing your research and asking people on here who have already had the sleeve. Everyone I have spoken to LOVES it. Some people on here have had the RNY and are switching or have switched to the sleeve.

Good luck =)

icca1982
on 12/4/12 6:22 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/04/13

Good luck to you tomorrow!!!

MuttLover
on 12/4/12 12:09 am
VSG on 11/14/12

The stats are all averages -- so some people lose it all, some don't -- the real deciding factor is you.  How committed you can be to following a food plan, etc.  The people who are consistent in following their plans are the ones who succeed, regardless of the procedure. 

For me, I didn't like the malabsorption and the extra recovery time.  Plus, your body after RNY will always have malabsortion of nutrients, but NOT calories.  After a year or so, your body regains the ability to absorb the calories -- so you have to change the way you eat again to compensate for that.

I went with VSG because of those issues, and my arthritis -- I need to be able to take NSAIDs again -- an absolute no-no with RNY.  Also, I'd been successful in the past on Atkins (LOL -- just not keeping it off!), so I was very comfortable with a low carb, high protein approach, and felt that with the restriction and reduced hunger, I could be successful. 

I also liked that I would still have a fully functioning stomach -- basically, just a smaller one.

However, I also have reflux, and RNY is recommended for that -- so I made a choice, knowing the pros and cons as they relate to my personal heath conditions.

I think anyone of us can be successful with either procedure if you follow the eating plan -- once you understand what happens with each procedure and how that can affect your health over time, it will help you make the decision that is best for you!

Good luck in your decision making process!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

mickeymantle
on 12/4/12 12:22 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my doctor says the newer stats are getting closer between the 2 and the difference in weight loss will probably be around 10 lbs for me( he said it was a guess because everyone is different)

he said the sleeve would be safer for me with less problems after  my bmi  is 72  and he said that he would do ether the sleeve or ryn which ever I wanted and he has done thousands of both of them

icca1982
on 12/4/12 12:27 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/04/13
Thank you for all of the information! I really appreciate it. I have an appointment with a doctor today to begin the pre-surgery diet. I'm so excited to start this journey
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/12 12:29 am

I am going to be honest with you and I hope you make the very best choice you can.  I, personally, would never choose the RNY option.  I really think it is an outdated surgery and I don't think it will be around in the next five or so years.  A well made sleeve gives you about the same weight loss as the RNY without the multitude of issues that can be life changing with the RNY.  Given the choice between the two, there really is very little choice to be made.  Now, I did say a well made sleeve.  This surgery is not standardized in any way.  Every surgeon makes a different sleeve.  Some surgeons make much larger sleeves than others.  The fact that your surgeon is telling you that his stats with the sleeve are only 60% makes me very uncomfortable.  My doctor wanted me and just about everyone else to reach 80-100% EWL.  If I was in your position, I would make sure that I found a doctor that makes a tight sleeve and has amazing after care.  The sleeve is really only a tool and unless you get exceptional aftercare and eating program you are not likely to reach your goal.  Another consideration would be the DS.  At your BMI, I would seriously look at this surgery, and consider it.  It is not done by most doctor's but it really is the Cadillac of WLS for those people who need it.  Look at dsfacts. com to learn more about it. 

lwak
on 12/4/12 12:32 am - IA

Hi Jessica,

I chose the VSG because my BMI was high and because both my primary care physician and surgeon though it would be best because I had so much weight to lose. I was told by my surgeon that weight loss is very fast with the sleeve, and he estimated that I would have 140 lbs off within a year. He told me that the statistics were higher with the sleeve.I had the sleeve done three weeks ago and have lost 25 lbs. I had little pulling sensation at the small incision sites, but not really pain. I was up walking within hours of surgery, slowly of course, but still walking. I like the sleeve because you don't have the dumping and the malabsorption issues, plus my surgeon told me it was safer than the RNY. I think each surgeon has their own preference to be honest with you. My surgeon also gave me a stomach binder to wear which helps support the area. I am still sore on my left side where all the work was done, but I have been out shopping (short time) and driving. It is definitely a learning process to go through this and it takes about 6-7 months depending on your insurance. I had Blue Cross, Blue Shield so they were fantastic. I think that with either surgery any weight loss will be good .Good Luck with whatever you decide is right for you.

Most Active