5 years next month!

dot4you
on 12/9/12 2:35 am - CA

Hi Everyone,

It has been a great ride! I have had an amazing time with my hubby, camping and being active... traveling and sitting very comfortably in the airplane seat!! Just being with friends and food isn't the focus...But I have lost my focus on some important things...vitamins, exercise and protein...this has lead to a 13 lb  gain. That could be worse but this is the time to put the brakes on or else! I have learned that time does not equal a cure-all. I still must make my health my number one focus. I haven't. I have gotten complacent.

I am dealing with some iron issues again. And wondering if anyone can relate to this? I have been seen by a few doctors and had endless tests. They fear internal bleeding but thankfully I am good. This could be all womanly issues too...but I know I could also be doing better in the food and vitamin area...I'm trying to improving that now...

I still love my VSG and I'm very grateful to have this wonderful tool to help me!!

MuttLover
on 12/9/12 2:57 am
VSG on 11/14/12

When I was dealing with anemia a while back, they never figured out what was causing it. In retrospect, I think it was a "womanly issue".  I didn't realize it then, since sitting around and comparing flow rate is not something my friends and I do!  But I had volunteered to be part of a focus group about tampons (LOL -- I was in my 40s, so by then, not much embarrassed me!).  But during the course of the conversations, I started to realize that I used a heck of a lot more tampons than rest of the group!  Duh!  Maybe when I told the doc that I didn't think I had a heavy flow, I was wrong!  But after iron pills and moving closer to menopause, I got better -- which of course does harken to it being a womanly problem!

I just remember how I had lost 80 pounds (Atkins) and the doc saying how do you feel?  Don't you have more energy, etc. -- and replied that I felt like crap and went home to rest every day after work!  And shouldn't I have more energy by now?  

While that ended up with the diagnosis, I had already slowed down activity, was worried that I wasn't eating enough, and slowly the weight started coming back on!

So kudos to you for taking action now!  

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

dot4you
on 12/9/12 3:14 am - CA

Thanks Muttlover !! ( I'm also a "muttlover", dogs are just the BEST!) These issues along with being a VSGer have made my  lack of iron a very complex situation. Low iron and VSG alone can be a problem. Yes, I have to address these girly issues which might mean surgery, UGH!!

But my diet and vitamins are in great need of improvement...this is the time to get it together. I want to encourage folks to stay focused on their health. I have found it is a slippery place when the weight is down and the clothes all fit...it was so easy to forget where I came from. The future is not as far away as one thinks...

I know folks don't want to hear the flip side of vsg life...easy street does come to an end. Eating more happens...

Thankfully I have my tool and it WILL WORK   if  I work it!

Crabadams72
on 12/9/12 5:39 am - Silver Spring, MD
I am not as far out as you (18m) but I do agree about the vitamins. I see a lot of people--especially women, have a very laid back attitude about supplementation. Then they will freak out when hair falls out, teeth fall out, bone loss occurs and ostereoporosis sets in some 10 years down the road.

I have always had iron issues. I was getting ultrasounds for fibroids and cramps and bleeding. I did end up getting Novasure-which ended my cycle. However, my labs are still showing my iron is low so I reluctantly take the iron tablet. I did not want RNY because I knew that was a complication many women had and I'm not up to having transfusions.

All I can say is get back on track and treat the vitamins as you would a life saving medication--because for us post WLS people it really is. We have smaller tummies and its difficult to get all the nutrients we need.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

dot4you
on 12/9/12 6:47 am - CA

Couldn't agree more Crabadams72!!  Glad to hear your iron is up and they helped you with your issues...Not a fun place to be!!

Yes, really...next thing to worry about is the bone loss...everything counts now because we will pay for it later.

I did the Novasure last year (Sept 11) and all was good. Iron came back up and I was on track with eating and vitamins, felt great...Then the periods came back (Oct 12). Doctor said most people get 4-5 years out of Novasure...enough to bridge to menopause...not me.

Like you said: Getting back on track with the vitamins and the correct amount of protein is like "a Life saving medication". So very true!!

Best to you!

Most Active