Question about tomatoes!

Christine Heusinger
on 12/9/12 6:52 am - GA

I just had my sleeve this past Thursday so I am still on CLEAR liquids but I am dreaming about the time when I can add soups (my FAVORITE Winter food).

How long after surgery did ya'll eat tomato based soups without any trouble from the acid?

Chris

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

Nikki_9
on 12/9/12 6:55 am - Canada

Hi Chris, 

I had my sleeve on Dec. 4 and I completely enjoyed some tomato soup (1:1 water) on Saturday. No problem. I also had orange juice and pineapple juice in the hospital which I consider more acidic that the lonely tomato. 

Christine Heusinger
on 12/9/12 7:16 am - GA

How interesting! My NUT and the surgeon's nurse said NO tomato; NO citrus for quite a while! I can easily do without OJ but I will be craving veggie soup!

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/12 8:43 am
VSG on 06/04/12

Tomato based items, soup, sauces etc. have never bothered me. I know I had tomato based soups in the first month, but I can't remember when. Everyone's different though and some people have a hard time with acidic items a lot longer. I can't tolerate any wheat/flour items, like bread, flour tortillas, flatbread, muffins etc. since surgery and I'm six months out. You just won't know until you try. And bear in mind that a plain tomato soup has no protein and a lot of sugar, as do a lot of tomato based items. Just make sure you carefully read labels. And I don't care what program says it's okay to do juice during the weight loss phase they're wrong. It's just empty sugar/calories in a cup. If you must have fruit wait until you can eat the real thing and not just drink those empty liquid calories. 

Edelge
on 12/9/12 9:35 am
VSG on 04/02/13

My plan calls for drinking juice every day and I completely agree with you!  I can see eating a piece of fruit but store bought juice is just sugar and empty calories.  They also call for drinking milk each day and I just don't so that won't fly either. 

Nikki_9
on 12/9/12 12:36 pm - Canada

I add whey protein powder to the soups and juices and I dilute the juice 50% with water to help me get the fluids in. I am also careful not to use high sugar juices. I too would prefer to eat a piece of fruit but since that is not going to happen any time soon, I appreciate the diluted juice. Again, everyone is given different directions based on what may work for them. It is all a matter of options and choice.

Life is not about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself.

ruggie
on 12/9/12 9:01 am - Sacramento, CA

Never had an issue with tomatoes or acidic food.  On the other hand, I was on a PPI for the first half-year after surgery.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

rhearob
on 12/9/12 9:16 am - TN

I'm a year out and I still haven't.  I used to eat Cream of Tomato soup at least 5 times a week.  Its not the acid - its just not a good food choice.  I prefer to eat my calories instead of drinking them.  Theres simply not enough protein in tomato soup - of any variety - to make it worth while.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Sleeveless
on 12/9/12 3:24 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I'm getting close to the end of my liquids-only two weeks. The Healthwise tomato bouillon has been my lifesaver. It is available from MyBariatricPantry.com and it has 15 grams of protein. It doesn't have the disgusting odor of the sweet drinks. Check it out!

Most Active