The brief reappearance of Ruggie

ruggie
on 12/9/12 3:56 am, edited 12/9/12 3:58 am - Sacramento, CA

Hi guys - I'm Ruggie, and it turns out, I'm not a professional weight loss patient.  Before I expound, here's some Fun Facts(tm):

• Male
  • 5'10"
  • Highest weight:  310
  • Goal weight: 160
  • Current weight:  151

Also:

You may know me for:

And I:

• Wear size 29 or 30 jeans (usually 30).
  • Wear a size small shirt
  • These two facts blow my mind on a daily basis

So, I really feel "done" now.  I stopped leading the weight-loss support group I had been organizing in Sacramento and stopped going to my surgeon's support group as well.  I stopped freaking out about regain - not that I don't think about it or guard against it, but it's no longer an emotional worry.  Things are so routine and normal now that I sometimes forget that I'm a "patient" - and I think that just might be a good thing.  

I don't count my calories anymore but I do pretty much eat the same foods.   I still have two Nectar protein shakes a day (adding 46g) and my lunch always has 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 3oz of a lean meat, breakfast is always a high-protein Greek yogurt.  

I used to freak about the possibility of regain - like I mentioned - but I've been oddly stable.  My weight hasn't varied more than 3-4 pounds without me really trying.  One one hand, I still have some fat (especially in my thighs) and could lose more weight, but on the other hand, I'm already 150 at 5'10"!  I go back and forth on this.   I now only weigh myself twice a week (used to be daily).  I still keep active and run.

I've been called thin.  My brain will process a "WTF" response and then remind me that that's actually true.  Even scrawny!  Here's a little secret:  I understand us men are supposed to be brawny and fit and such, but I secretly enjoy being scrawny!  It's so different than life used to be.  I walk around like it's my little secret that only I know about.  Oh, I'll get to the gym and put on some muscle because of health reasons and the need to build up my core for long-term health, but I have enjoyed this thin / scrawny / twink phase that I've been in.

Any questions or comments?

Oh yeah.... I used to look like this:

Or this:

But now I look like this:

And this:

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/9/12 4:04 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Glad you are doing well and living a normal (scrawny) life! But miss your posts here. Especially the science nerdy and sarcastic ones!!! Do check back once in a while!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ruggie
on 12/9/12 4:05 am - Sacramento, CA

I will try to check in from time-to-time ;)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/9/12 4:24 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Btw you and my husband are the exact same height. He weighs 174 lbs and he is absolutely not overweight...even though I think he could lose 5-10 lbs...so when you say scrawny, its not a joke!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

frisco
on 12/9/12 4:06 am

The Ruggster !!!!

Good to see yah !!!

Sounds like all is well !!!!

I knew you were a bit more advanced than the rest of us....... Cause that's some advanced thinking !!!!

Stick around..... spread the word..... but pace yourself !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

INgirl
on 12/9/12 4:10 am

Wooo! Nice seeing your bony butt!

Here's to goal & beyond!

Can I just go on record about laughing at the twink comment? Do twinks come with beards.. not sure about that.. beats being a bear.

ruggie
on 12/9/12 4:13 am - Sacramento, CA

No, they don't, and I'm certainly too old to ever be a twink anyway.  

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/12 4:10 am

OK, I get it.  I don't think you need any more of this either.  However, just for the fact that you make me clap my hands in glee and jump up and down with joy, you should consider at least an occasional reappearance.   Think of it as a public service to us "professional VSG patients".  An occasional pithy post will not kill you.  That's all I am saying.  :)

ruggie
on 12/9/12 4:14 am - Sacramento, CA

For you, such a gracious and charming woman whom I deeply respect, anything.

Auveca
on 12/9/12 4:38 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

Just because your avatar is Chowder, could you post occasionally for us new ones??  And sarcasm is a way of life that I need to hear others espouse...

Most Active