Extreme Heartburn

D. Scott
on 12/11/12 11:56 am
RNY with

I have had insane heartburn for the last couple of weeks. I have tried Tums, liquid Maalox, and chewable Pepcid. They all work for about 10-15 minutes but no longer. It gets worse on an empty stomach and even worse when I am laying down so at night I am woken up with awful heartburn. A friend of mine who had sleeve 6 months ago was given Ranitidine (liquid Zantac) before even having her surgery as an acid blocker but when I called my surgeon I was told to try the chewable Pepcid then two days later told I would have to come in for an acid test before the would prescribe anything. Because I live 90 miles from my doctor and can't just leave work without pre requesting it, I can't get to my doctor on a whim. I am so frustrated that my office is acting like there must be something wrong from me to be having heartburn when I have read about how common it is. So anyways after another day with it I called my doctor once again and finally got to talk to the NP who said heart burn is super common with lapband to sleeve revision but again I have to come in if they are going to prescribe anything. I'm so frustrated. Can you tell me if this is something you went through and if you were able to fix it with anything over the counter. In less then two weeks I can take over the counter Zantac in pill form but I need something until then. Ive already pre-requested 1/2 a day off work for my next doctors appointment around the same time but I can't handle this for another two weeks.

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

Kusoreo
on 12/11/12 12:32 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12

My acid issues have flared up over the last few days.  I don't have reflux but the acid in my stomach feels like it's being produced in overdrive.  I called my surgeon's office and they upped my omeprazole so now I'm taking 20mg twice a day.  You can get it over the counter.  I've been downing Tums too for when I just can't take it anymore.  Even drinking water is sometimes uncomfortable because of it.  If I were in your shoes, I would start with 20mg of omeprazole at least once a day, maybe increasing it to morning and evening, and see if that helps.  Or at least ask the NP about it, maybe?  I don't know...  It's something so common and easily treatable, I completely understand your frustration.  I hope it passes for both of us ASAP.  Good luck!

~Elizabeth 

5'8"  HW: 296  SW: 284  CW: 184  GW: 160

D. Scott
on 12/11/12 12:46 pm
RNY with

Thanks for responding. Is the omeprazole in liquid or chewable form? I'm not released to take pills yet

Kusoreo
on 12/11/12 1:11 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12

The one I take is in capsule form but I read on here that someone opens the capsule and then swallows the little tiny beads inside.  I don't know if you could taste them or not but she seemed happy with her method!

~Elizabeth 

KathyA999
on 12/11/12 12:48 pm

My surgeon sent me home with Nexium with instructions to dissolve it (it's a little teeny tablet).  After a couple days of that I thought the heck with this, and just started swallowing it.  As fast as the thing dissolved in a dab of water, I figured it wouldn't do much harm in my sleeve.  You might pick up an OTC PPI (Prilosec, Prevacid) and try dissolving them.

Zantac and Pepcid are H2 blockers, they neutralize the acid in your stomach, but there's sometimes a thing called bounceback acid, meaning it roars back once they wear off.  A PPI (proton pump inhibitor) actually prevents the acid from forming in the first place; this is what most of us take, but you have to take it consistently (same time every day).  Might take a couple days before it kicks in fully, but it's SO worth it.

I actually cycled thru about four different PPIs before landing on one that works really well for me (protonix, a prescription).  They would work for a couple months, then the acid would come back.  But start with an OTC and see how it goes.  You don't need to see your surgeon for that.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Kusoreo
on 12/11/12 1:16 pm, edited 12/11/12 1:17 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12

Good point about the PPIs vs the H2 blockers and taking the PPIs at the same time everyday.

Sarah, the omeprazole that I take is a generic form of Prilosec (PPI).

~Elizabeth 

D. Scott
on 12/12/12 8:19 am
RNY with

I picked up the generic prilosec today, thanks!

Kusoreo
on 12/12/12 9:46 am - ID
VSG on 11/19/12
I hope it brings you relief soon!

~Elizabeth 

D. Scott
on 12/12/12 8:17 am
RNY with

Thank You!! Thank You!!! Thank You!! I bought some Omeprazole after work, Im going to cru**** and take it with a tsp of water. I feel so happy that maybe in a day or two the acid will settle down.

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/11/12 3:01 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I've been fighting an uphill battle with reflux myself and have worked out a few things that are helping a lot or me.

Step 1. is a Prilosec capsule every morning on an empty stomach. (other than my synthroid, which I chew just beforehand as my pharmy suggested) I open the capsule, dump the teeny granules onto my tongue and swallow them with a sip of water. If you can get an OTC PPI, mash the tablet between 2 spoons and wash the crumbles down with a sip of water. It'll taste vile but will do until you're allowed to take it whole.

Step 2. I cut my portions of solid foods by about 1/4 and started paying close attention to any hint at all that Fred is getting near full. I also pay more attention to chewing my food super well and making sure it's moist - even if it means having to take tiny sips of water along the way. Dry food = reflux. Too much food at once = reflux. Poorly chewed food = reflux. Insufficient fluids = reflux.

Step 3. Pharmy suggested carrying Gavascon for breakthrough heartburn, and it helps, but I found something better, which is:

Step 4. Ginger tea. (Mug of ho****er, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, sweetener to taste) you can also buy ginger chews to carry in your purse. WAY better than Gavascon.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active