Vacation and Weight Gain What I have Learned

Tirza T.
on 12/12/12 7:56 pm
VSG on 01/17/12

So I came back from my 2 week vacation in Disney World on Saturday December 8th. Sunday I got on the scale and I had gained 18 POUNDS. I am not lying 18 POUNDS!!!!! I almost threw up. Here is what I have learned.

1) While exercise is important for fitness and health and shaping my body, what I put into my mouth is much more important. While in Disney you walk nearly 6 hours or more per day. Obviously this did not help with the weight.

2) Eating out and not eating fresh has a lot of sodium. Which is scary since I used to have high BP. Within three days of following my old routine I lost 10 of the 18 pounds. This made me draw the conclusion that those 10 pounds were water weight.

3) I have avoided sugars and starches and even sugars in fruit like the plague. I had only started to introduce carbs (complex healthy carbs) back into my diet a couple of months ago. But, I have been devoid of the crap carbs for over a year (since I did a 3 week pre-op diet). I allowed myself to eat these foods and it was not a smart idea. You could have eaten bread and rice in front of me three weeks ago or licked on an icecream sandwich and it would not have phased me. Now that I have eaten these things I know for sure that I am addicted. For three days I have eaten clean and yesterday I went to the store with my mom and she picked up goodies at the store and I had a physical reaction to them. It was like crack my stomach started to make funny sensations and bile rose in my throat like acid reflux. I am so Angry at myself for letting this happen right around the Holidays. Sure enough 2 hours later the food was calling me and I lost the fight and fat girl mentality returned and not only did I binge , but I made terrible choices. I have to completely AVOID these foods going forward if I want to make it to goal and maintain the loss. I was 15.6 pounds away from goal and now I am 22 pounds away from goal. I am not changing my ticker though I am going to give myself a week and see where I am.

4) Vets are right Carbs are slider foods as I could eat double of my normal intake. While on vacation it was the first time since being sleeved that I vomited and felt dumping syndrome (I was sick as a dog I didn't think sleevers could get dumping syndrome) from over eating and eating carbs.

5) I need an accountability partner. My family tried to be great support but in the throws of an addiction I just took it as insults and was defensive. They were actually super  nice about it. I need to find someone who I can call like a sponsor with an alcoholic who will walk me off the cliff and make some sense for me in these moments who I am not emotionally involved with LOL.

6) Most importantly I have learned that this is not a sad post. This was an eye opener and a learning experience. We all know the sleeve is not a magic bullet and it is all about our choices. I thought because I am nearly a year out I could try these things. I thought wrong. For me it doesn't work. So now I pushed goal back much further, but I know I will get there because I will tell you after three years of following the plan my restriction feels much better in my sleeve.

Sorry this post is so long. I needed to be accountable for my actions and I figured maybe it would help someone like me.

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
Tirza T.
on 12/12/12 8:03 pm
VSG on 01/17/12

LOL... I don't want the sponsor to walk me off the cliff but to talk me off of it. The last part I also wanted to say three days back on the plan, not three days.

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
Happy966
on 12/12/12 8:26 pm
Tira, I think many of us could have written this post! I definitely would love being accountable with you. PM me and I'll give you my email. Yay for your great attitude. Carbs are very, very bad for me. Very bad.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Tirza T.
on 12/12/12 8:55 pm
VSG on 01/17/12
Thanks so much Happy. I will definitely do that as soon as I get home and use the computer instead of my phone.
Terrimarv
on 12/13/12 12:39 am - IL
VSG on 12/04/12
I know exactly what you mean--carbs are like crack. It is far better and easier for me to have none than to have"just a bite". Sadly, I think we could all benefit from a reminder that the monster is still there; all we can aspite to is to keep it contained. Rob (rhearob) made a great presentation at his surgeon's holiday party over the weekend, and my favorite of his comments was "I'm still a fat man, but now I'm a fat man with a 32-inch waist". Sounds like you are making the most of what you've learned from this experience. Thanks for sharing with us.
desertmom
on 12/13/12 12:53 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
Hi,one thing you can do to just get rid of the carb issue now is to make yourself enough beef strips and chicken strips stirfried with onion and snack on it when you first feel the urge to eat.Eat your meals as protein only with very little added veg and protein snacks.3 days and you'll feel in control again.And tell your people to stay away from you with the bad stuff and to excuse you if your mood takes a bit of a dip day one and two.Day 3 will be easier and after that its like you never liked carbs to start with.

Good luck!

Tirza T.
on 12/13/12 8:54 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Thanks for your responses guys and thanks for your advice desertmom. I hope 3 days will do it
Most Active