Benefits of Being a Slow Loser?

Sleeveless
on 12/13/12 3:08 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I seem to be stalled at between 10 and 11 pounds lost at only 10 days post-op. What a huge FU to me! :-)

But I'm wondering if there could be a benefit to stalling and losing slowly. Is it possible I won't lose too much hair or have as much sagging skin?

Has anyone found that to be the case?

Thanks, as always, OH friends. I always appreciate all you share with us.

bigred_z
on 12/13/12 3:12 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

My first thought was that the slower you lose, the more time your body and skin have time to keep up and adjust w/o the sagging.  The scale is moving in the RIGHT direction, let that be enough!  Keep rockin your sleeve!!

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

acbbrown
on 12/13/12 3:16 pm - Granada Hills, CA

You need to wait another 6 months before you classify yourself as a slow loser - if you even want to go there. Id recommend using the search function for early stalls, and the difference between a stall and plateau. 

Even if you lose slowly, you will probably lose hair, and you will probably have loose skin. In fact, I had both of those issues before I even had WLS as a result of "slow" weight loss. Some people just use these thoughts to justify eating more and losing less - dont fall in that trap. 

If I could give you one piece of advice - get rid of the scale - for a few months, and just follow your plan. Too many new-ops spent too much time obsessing over every little pound - not worth the wasted energy. The scale will not move every day - and in fac,t you may spend many days, sometime weeks, at the same weight and it's 100% totoally normal. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

bigred_z
on 12/13/12 4:00 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Perhaps I need a ceremonial scale destruction...TNT?  Gun it down in the yard?  Flamethrower?  Flatten it on a train track?  Run it over in the driveway?  Hmmmm...

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

frisco
on 12/13/12 4:10 pm

Don't over think it......(will drive you nuts)

You got the plan..... stick with it...... don't be tempted to wig wag or deviate...... stay consistent......

Just do and it will happen....... Nothing really effects hair or skin......

You'll be fine......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/13/12 4:25 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
A temporary break in loss after only 10 days does not mean you're a slow loser. If you get to 6 months and are losing 5# a month you can consider yourself slow.

Loose skin and falling hair are more about genetics and luck than speed of loss, sorry. The only real benefit I know of is having more time to work on the head stuff as the weight comes off.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Sleeveless
on 12/13/12 5:06 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thanks for the perspectives, friends. It all makes sense!

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/12 9:25 pm, edited 12/13/12 9:28 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

Well, I can be considered a slow loser since I lose about a pound a week.  My first month after surgery was 21 lbs and since then its been slow and steady going down.  Most of my weight was lost pre-surgery.  I am 6 months out nowand  have had zero hair loss but I'm not sure that's attributable to the slow loss but more than likely due to my naturally slow growing hair ( I didn't lose it while on chemo either).  I also have minimal loose skin, in fact what I had under my arms is really starting to tone up nicely, I do workout 6 times a week and am working with a trainer and I think that makes a difference in the loose skin area.  Remember, its not the number on the scale that makes a difference, its the percent of fat and muscle in your body.  One thing I have learned in this journey is that consistent exercise is my friend and it along with healthy eating is my life long change.. 

Sleeveless
on 12/14/12 1:56 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thanks, Karen. What you say makes a lot of sense. I'm so glad you've had a stable and steady journey. :-)

Most Active