I don't want to call it extended buyers remorse (8 days post op)

Antimony40
on 12/14/12 7:07 am, edited 12/14/12 7:41 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

So...when I got home from the hospital, I had a bit of buyers remorse which I really attributed to head hunger mostly.

I'm 8 days out now, and miserable. 

Head hunger is kicking my BUTT. 

Every since surgery, I can't get warm---ever--It was 55 today, I walked around my house with a sweatshirt, sweatpants, socks, slippers, a hat, and glovers...with the heat set on 75 and never really got warm...just a little less cold.

I'm struggling with water, but have managed 60 ounces two days in a row now...my stomach ONLY likes tepid water...my mouth ONLY likes ice cold...I can't drink any Mio, or Crystal Lite, either..plain, tepid, luke warm nasty water.

but really--what's making me blue right now is that I still have yet to have any measurable quantity of protein because the smell of protein drinks makes me lurch...and I can get about 3 sips in before I puke..I'm not much into milk, but it's REALLY the smell/taste of everything I've had that's making it so bad...I've tried Synthrax, I've tried bullets, I've tried a bunch of RTD...Unjury caused puking too, both soup and unflavored. 

I KNOW I have to have protein...but if I can't keep it down, and it makes me puke up my much needed water, what do I do?  I guess it's more a little down than buyers remorse.  Someone find me a miracle protein drink?  Any/all suggestions welcomed...

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

fat2fit2012
on 12/14/12 7:18 am - FL
VSG on 03/05/13

Have you tried Premier Protein drinks?  The chocolate ones are sooo good! And 30g of protein each!

~Fat2Fit2012                    

Pre-Op Weight- 234 | Surgery Weight- 222.2 | Current Weight- 175.5 | Goal Weight- 130

Julie L.
on 12/14/12 1:26 pm, edited 12/14/12 11:34 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

Edit:  Whoops,  nevermind!

2012newgirl
on 12/14/12 7:22 am
VSG on 12/21/12

I am just a few days less than you and am kind of down too.  I just wanted to say hang in there.  I think its normal for us too feel blue right now with the healing and exhaustion that our bodies are going through.

Suggestions: Alternative milk like soy, almond or rice?  You can try other protein powders like Vega- whole foods- or another type thats not from whey.  And maybe you just let your gut rest by going back to clear fluids for a day or two.  If you have the unflavored unjury you may be able to add that to clears.

I really hope you feel better.  I have stuck in the house alone since Wed. and i'm just getting crazy cabin fever!  And crazy head hunger.  Stay well and let me know how you are feeling!

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/14/12 7:31 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I found hiding unflavoured whey in sf jello helped. Since it was a sort of solid I couldn't smell it - that helped a LOT.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

slimpickins5280
on 12/14/12 8:38 am - CO

This is why you'll sometimes read on here about people giving away protein drink mixes.

The only thing you can do is get creative. Try powders, other RTD's, Isopure (could try ISOPURE popcicles).

You are doing pretty good with the water. If your tummy likes it room temp, start trying some caffeine free teas.

It sucks, but you do just have to try a bunch of different things until you figure out what your tummy will tolerate.

Also know that it usually doesn't last forever. When you start on mushies and regular foods that seems to make everything a little easier.

Good luck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

MuttLover
on 12/14/12 9:18 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Greek Yogurt is part of the full liquids on my plan.  So I mixed the Syntrax Choc. Truffle or double-stuffed cookie in that and added a packet of splenda.  Makes kind of a pudding.  I would just dip the spoon in and lick it off.

That way, I got just a little in to see if it was going to go down OK, and then I'd lick another spoonful.  I did the same with soups.  Just licked the spoon.

Best of luck! 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

SuzyNZ
on 12/14/12 9:44 am, edited 12/14/12 5:44 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
Don't be blue. Just take your time, you are doing great.

I can't drink protein shakes at all, so my first 3 weeks were completely protein-less until I could eat some proper food. My 6 week labs were great, as we're my 3 month labs and I eat significantly less protein than most people on here would say is the "proper plan".

Now Im not saying my way is "right" either, but with great labs and 96lbs down in 3 months, it seems to be working ok for me. There are always different roads to the same destination.

Just focus on fluids for the moment so you don't get dehydrated and slowly work your protein shakes in when you can. You will do just fine

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

lucy2e
on 12/14/12 9:50 am - Laurel, MD

Not sure if it will work for you - but it did for me.  I didn't love this, but it helped me get the crap down (had serious difficulty with protein).  I took the bariatric advantage plain meal replacement powder and added in 2-3 tsp of PB2 powder.  The peanut butter smell totally covered the whey smell and the taste hid the flavor.  I tried sf pistachio pudding once - and that worked for me too, but it made it soooo thick and sweet.  I liked the pb2 better.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

happymom80
on 12/14/12 11:38 am - MO
VSG on 03/05/12

You are doing awesome on the water IMHO. I don't think I made it to 60 ounces for at least a month...it was crazy hard. The temperature thing will go away. And your tastes will even out. Right after surgery, I could only drink very cold water - and I prefer more room temp water. Now I can go with whatever I have handy...and I learned to like colder better anyway. Also, right after surgery, I hated HATED vanilla protein anything! But that has just recently changed...I don't hate it like I used to at all. So be patient with the transition. My pre-surgery fave gum made me want to puke after surgery...it no longer has that effect on me - although it still isn't my favorite anymore. 

I bought a sampler of the Syntrax Sweets protein powders at the beginning and rotated through them to keep it different. I found I really liked the chocolate truffle flavor. It worked well for a good long time. Also the unjury chicken soup is pretty good for a change. 

I now have several powders to choose from b/c I get bored so easily. In my cabinet now I have Isopure Dutch Chocolate (it's okay),  Syntrax Chocolate Truffle, Syntrax Vanilla Bean Torte (both are pure whey protein isolates), Syntrax unflavored whey isolate (it mixes well to boost my protein drinks or in diet hot chocolate), Syntrax Mint Cookie, Click (higher carbs...but very tasty...a coffee one. They make decaf too for this beginning stage if you are going no caffeine. I didn't have any caffeine for a few months), Unjury Chicken Soup.

Also good - Unjury Strawberry sorbet - mixed with almond milk it is kind of like a strawberry milk and it's really pretty tasty. Chike Coffee Protein- it's good...comes in individual packets which are handy to have around. 

I also have PB2 Dark Chocolate around - it adds a great peanut butter taste without the fat. And it blends very well with all the flavors. Even Mint cookie with PB2 - sounds kinda gross, but so stinking good! 

Also, if you don't have one, get a Blender Ball shaker (or a shaker with the ball in it). They work sooooo well! Genius!

I blend a lot in the blender too. But be aware that the syntrax proteins and isopure make a lot foam on the top of the blended shake. It settles or you can drink it...not a huge deal...but not convenient. 

Best of luck!!!

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views