Wish people would stop trying to feed me

nieba
on 12/17/12 12:08 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

On Friday we had our department Christmas luncheon at King's Fish House. I ordered a cup of Clam Chowder. Ate half and took the rest home. BUT... while there I was being offered side salads, several people offered me parts of their fish dinners, and then someone had the nerve to offer me bread!

STOP TRYING TO FEED ME!

"Really I am okay with my cup of soup!" They say they are all proud of me then they start asking if I want anything to eat. I stayed strong and stuck to my soup for the night. That's why I have dropped 75 lbs from my heaviest, not from the grazing they want me to do.

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

louisamay
on 12/17/12 12:22 am
VSG on 04/27/12

I'm proud of you for holding them off.

I understand why you're frustrated, though.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Angel1974
on 12/17/12 12:33 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I can relate but I am proud of you for holding your ground.   You are doing amazing.  Don't let anyone distract you from your ultimate goal.

Follow my progress on my youtube channel
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCARrPUdk_U

nieba
on 12/17/12 12:36 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I am already so close to my goal and being a stair-stepper loser I don't want to temp anything. My family does this to me too. "Are you okay?" "Did you have enough?" " Have a little more if you want"

Jennifer B.

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/12 1:12 am

During my first holiday season, I developed a strategy to deal with this that I still use today.  I say "no, thank you" to any food that is offered to me by someone else.  I do this even if I am hungry, if the food is acceptable, if it's home made, if, if , if.....  I do this every single time.  The reason for this strategy is that I never want to accept food when I am not hungry, or when it's the wrong food.  I also want to be and stay in control of my eating.  Saying, "no thank you", buys me enough time to think things through.  If I really want the food later, I can make the decision to have some, but it is not mindless and I can really consider my options.  Ultimately, that's what maintenance is about, staying fully connected and mindful of your eating and weight. 

SuzyNZ
on 12/17/12 1:12 am
VSG on 09/17/12
Try looking at it from their perspective. They care.

We eat what looks to most people, like an unhealthily small amount. It's not normal to them. Its just not normal. They worry we aren't getting enough nutrition to be healthy.

We have to remember that while we are mentally ready for our huge lifestyle overhaul, they need time to adjust and adapt as well.

I turned 40 last week and one of the guys at work brought me a cake. A giant, gooey chocolate covered, formally delicious mess. Mt first thought was "what the hell am I supposed to do with that?!" But my second thought was "that was really sweet of him to think of doing something for me, regardless of whether it was the best choice or not".

My mother saw me eat for the first time the other day and while she didn't say anything, she watched me like a hawk to see how much I ate.

Remember our eating habits are only normal to us. For everyone else, especially when we are early out and can only eat a very tiny amount, it's really not normal and they get concerned. Love them for it.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/12 1:59 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Haha I remember when I had surgery and at the end of the first month my husband took me to Chili's and I was eating soft foods. I ordered a baked potato soup and pretty much just ate the thick soupy part. I took about 5 bites and that was all I could eat. My husband looked absolutely SHOCKED and said to me "Is that all you're ever going to be able to eat FOREVER?". I will never ever forget that look on his face lol! I had to tell him that in the course of the year I would slowly be able to eat a bit more slowly and steadily. LOL he was not very educated about the VSG. He also thought they only removed half of my stomach. Now he gets it but it took him a while

71dart
on 12/17/12 2:02 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
It's an emotionally loaded situation. When someone offers me food, I immediately have to swallow the saliva my crosswired instincts initiate my glands to produce. I was just at the grocery doing fine until one of those Johnsonville Sausage reps offered me a sample... immediate salivation. Warped! Twisted! Sick. Sad.

No thank you.

nieba
on 12/17/12 2:15 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

Most people around me are starting to understand the amounts of foods and the kinds of foods I can and cannot eat. On Friday my friend wanted to give me a 1 inch square of fish. I very kindly told her I was good and Thank you for offering. I know they care and I love them all for it. But I was being tested (by myself) to make sure I stuck to my grounds.

Jennifer B.

Tia M.
on 12/17/12 3:31 am - Killeen, TX

I have people that don't know about my surgery trying to feed me. They will see me put some things on my plate (the healthier stuff) and they will say, "Is that all you're going to eat?" And they say it in a way like their feelings are hurt because I'm not over filling my plate. So, I politely say, "Oh, I'm just pacing myself." But really, yes, that IS all I am going to eat.

The worst is when its something that I absolutely can't and will not eat and they are trying to force feed you. So then I usually say, that I'm allergic to something in it.

Not the most honest approach, but not everybody needs to know my personal business and it helps to avoid any further pushes on food.wink

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views