How do you handle ordering at restaurant?

Bekahre7
on 12/23/12 6:54 am

I'm starting to get the impression that I'll never be able to eat at a restaurant again. 

INgirl
on 12/23/12 6:59 am

I ate out at 5 weeks post op.. I didn't eat much, but I enjoyed it! Not sure what you think is holding you back?

Early out- I'd order what I knew I could tolerate.. rare beef, sashimi, egg/ham omelet.. I ask the server for ala cart often if I can't cart home leftovers.. most of the time they are fine with it.. I tip as if I had an entree.

I frequently pick a healthy appetizer as my meal, and sometimes share that and my husband's plate if we are together.. Considering I can't finish an app, he gets the bonus. We eat out fairly regularly.. and our tastes have not changed. We were never big into the icky-chain fried foods, but more the good proteins/creative foodie stuff. It's been a boon since one app, one entree is pretty much a meal and lunch the next day!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/23/12 7:00 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Sure you will! You will just take left overs home and have four meals instead of one! Its one of my favourite parts of the fringe benefits of the VSG.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Antimony40
on 12/23/12 7:02 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

first and foremost, HAVE A PLAN...know what's on the menu and what you will order in advance...

• do not hesitate to special order from the menu..ask for no butter, no sauce, etc. etc...
  • Dressing on the side, all condiments on the side
  • Do ask for a To Go container as SOON as the food arrives, and divide out what you will take home and remove it from your plate.
  • DO NOT eat FREE bread or chips& salsa...it's $$ free, but not calorie free.
  • DO order from a lunch menu, or order just an appetizer ...

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

Bekahre7
on 12/23/12 7:24 am

I'm only 2 weeks out, but I've been curious about what people eat when at restaurants.  Also, the nurse at my surgeons office freaked me out with a story of 2 different people who were a week out from surgery -- one decided to eat a FOOT LONG sub and busted his pouch, the other had 2 slices of Chicago-style deep dish pizza and vomited so violently that he cause a severe leak that took 6 months to heal.  Not that I'm particularly interested in eating those things...just wigged me out a bit.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/23/12 7:34 am
VSG on 10/09/12
At two weeks out if you go to a restaurant then I would order a soup or broth or miso soup if japanese or egg drop soup... I heard those stories of pizza and foot long thing a ma jiggies and honestly I think many a doc's office use them to freak out their patients and scare them into compliance. I really don't see how it could be physically possible when all of us here one week post op could barely get our water and a protein shake down. Personally I just can't believe it is actually true. Sounds like an urban myth to me. And that is strictly from a physiological perspective. Not even attemptiing to address the stupid, suicidal factors!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Michael L.
on 12/23/12 7:47 am - Fall River, MA
I received a card from my nutritionist to bring to restaurants. Everytime I have showed it either the manager or chef has come out and offered to cook me anything. It basically says patient has had most of their stomach removed, please allow them to order off a special menu or childs selections. I was a little embarrassed to take it out the first time, but they were so understanding. I have no problem flashing it now. One chef prepared me 2oz of seared Ahi Tuna and only charged me $2.99

Ask your nutritionist or surgeon if they have one.If not , Id be happy to make one up for you.

Merry Christmas!
-Michael

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

LauraC999
on 12/24/12 5:00 pm

I would be interested in a card. My MD says they do not give them out anymore.

Alice M.
on 12/23/12 8:24 am - Taylor, MI
VSG on 12/03/12

Haven't heard about the footlong sub or pizza, but I find it awfully hard to believe that any of us who have worked so hard to get the surgery would blow it all for that.  This is such a wonderful chance to start life over as healthy and happy, I will not mess it up!  On my 3rd week out I went out to dinner for my granddaughter's 16th birthday.  Applebees.  Nothing on the menu bothered me.  I ordered the tomato basil soup and couldn't fini**** all, but just being out with people and at a restaurant was wonderful.  I like the idea of the card that was mentioned, but I think having your meals planned for 2 or 3 days is good too.  Looking forward to trying again. 

Just get out there and try.  You might surprises yourself.  Good Luck

Alice

Never dreamed that I could feel this good about myself again.  Looking forward to many healthy years now.

SW (6/27/12) - 255   PreOp (12/3/12) - 210   

Spencerella
on 12/23/12 8:34 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
I always check out the appetizer menu first. I look for protein based options and have always found several suitable selections. Even with the smaller price tag and portion size, I always have leftovers to take home!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active