I just realized... 6 days post-op

LNC62
on 12/23/12 8:38 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I haven't opened my refrigerator in a week.  I made SF jello last Sunday to have ready post surgery.  I added flavorless protein powder to it, but hadn't had any yet because the protein per serving  would not give me the best protein bang for my buck. 

At six days post op I am concentrating on getting my protein and fluids in.  It's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.  For someone who used to drink at least a gallon of diet soda a day, it's mind boggling that it takes me forever to drink a 10-12 oz protein drink.. 

So far I have not had any vomiting or dry heaves or nausea.  I get little hiccups or gurgling, but that's about it.  I take the post-op meds in the morning to make sure I don't have those issues.  I still have some pain and tightness, but it has gotten a lot better.  I had a liver biopsy and hiatal hernia repair so there will be add'l healing time and it still hurts a bit to take a full breath.

I was able to do a little shopping yesterday and the day before.  I took the dog for a short walk today in the rain, but for the most part I just want to sleep.  I've only been getting a couple hours of sleep at a time.  I tend to have insomnia so I really want to take this time off from work to catch up on my sleep.

I gained 7 lbs in the hospital so when I came home I was 260.  This morning I was 250.5 which is wonderful.  I can tell I am still holding fluids because my watch is leaving an imprint and despite my weight, I've always had thin wrists and they are a bit swollen.  Since the bouillon's are higher in sodium, I think I'll avoid them for a few days. (Wish I thought of that earlier today) 

Well, those are my stats for now.  Thanks for listening, and for all the support.

Lynn

busboss1
on 12/23/12 9:10 am
VSG on 12/18/12

Good for you!!! Sounds like things are getting better each day. I also had the liver biopsy and a hiatal hernia repaired and I have had the hiccups and gurgling too. Must be normal. My pain is pretty good too but I'm taking pain meds at night to get my rest. I have probably overdone it a bit by carrying the clothes basket. My belly button hurts a bit today. I'm so glad you're back down plus more. Sleep all you can, while you can. Sounds like we are both on the same track! Ha.

Beth

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

jarabacoagirl
on 12/23/12 11:50 am
VSG on 12/17/12

Beth, I'm glad all is going well for you too.  :-)

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

chubby_cinderella
on 12/23/12 11:05 am
VSG on 01/28/13
Good to here your feeling well, my surgery date is in 5 weeks. 6 days post op are you able to lift anything? My son is almost 1 and after my vsg I'm worried about carrying him. Any suggestions?
LNC62
on 12/23/12 11:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

My doc limited lifting to 20 lbs. I think it would be difficult to bend and lift something that heavy at this point.  I'm still a bit guarded to bend too far.  I think if you picked him up while he's in a chair or while he's in a standing position it would be easier.  I don't have kids.  You might post a question about that on the board to see how those with kids have done it.

jarabacoagirl
on 12/23/12 11:49 am
VSG on 12/17/12

My doctor said no more than 10 lbs for the first 4 weeks. (I'm also 6 days out.)  I guess every doctor is different.  I hope your surgery goes well!! 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

fear_of_grace
on 12/23/12 1:32 pm, edited 12/23/12 1:32 pm - TN
VSG on 10/08/12

Hi, I had an 18 month old, so around 27 lbs and I wasn't able to lift him at first, maybe around the 2 week mark I was able to hold him if my husband handed him to me and then took him back so I didn't bend. After about 3 weeks I was able to put him in his high chair/ car seat things like that.  The hardest one was putting him in his crib, he goes limp and wants you to bend over the rail and put him flat on the mattress. 

Basically, my doctor didn't want me lifting him too much for the first 2 weeks and after that "if it hurts, don't do it". 

There are lots of ways around it though, we changed diapers on the sofa so he could climb up and down himself, ate snacks there too instead of the high chair for a while, kids are flexible.  

Also in the beginning, I would put a small pillow between us and he would snuggle me while I was on the couch, he really missed me while I was in the hospital.  

See what your doctor says! 

Month 1: -27 lbs Month 2:  -9 lbs Month 3: -11 lbs Month 4:-10 lbs Month 5: -8 lbs

Month 6: -8 lbs Month 7: -5 lbs Month 8: -9 lbs  Month 9: -2 lbs Month 10:

Sleeveless
on 12/23/12 4:08 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Cinderella, I would recommend planning not to pick up your son for about 2 or 3 weeks, at least. It would be a lot better if someone else could pick him up and put him on your lap, if you can swing that.

Please don't risk your incisions. They will feel achey for a while and do need time to heal.

jarabacoagirl
on 12/23/12 11:46 am
VSG on 12/17/12

As you sleeve sister I can tell you I'm experiencing simular with getting in protien.  The last 2 days water and tea have been easier to get done than the first couple of days.  I can drink 2 oz at a time of sugar free decaf tea or water.  The other day it was barely 1 oz.  It's the protein shakes that are harder.  I can barely get 1 oz at a time.  But I set an egg time to make myself do it.   I didn't make my protien but the last 2 days I did better than the first few days and I got around 50 grams.   Water/fluids I got 9  8 oz the last 2 days so I am staying hydrated..  I have not thrown up either or had any dry heaving.  I do have a problem with gerd.  Lots of burping going on.  TMI but Not to mention gas &  farting. lol  

I'm with you about getting sleep when I can glad to be off work.  I have insomina too so I understand how that is.   Maybe losing weight will help with that.  Let's hope. 

Have a good evening!

swizzlequeen
on 12/24/12 12:42 am

Hello -- I see that a few on this thread have had liver biopsies along with their sleeve surgeries.

Why the biopsies? Did your doctors suspect some kind of problem that they wanted to clarify or diagnose?

Just curious, as I haven't heard of this before...

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views