HIVES AFTER VSG ANYONE?

Jodysdreams
on 12/23/12 1:46 pm
Hi, I am 2 weeks post op and have a sudden case of very itchy burning hives all ver my body..has anyone else had this happen??
Please help..if you have had this, let me know please..I am in misery!! Do you think it has anything to do with my surgery?

Jody

Cherlynn
on 12/23/12 2:12 pm

Yes, I had an allergic reaction to the derma-bond tape they put over the stitches, I have very sensitive skin.  Once this came off, the rash and hives went away, it was all over including my legs and thighs.  I would suggest calling your doctor.

Surgery 11/7/2012: Height; 5' 4"; HW 245; SW 229;  CW 165

My goal is to just feel better and have the energy to be more active.  I love this tool!

Jodysdreams
on 12/23/12 2:16 pm

Thanks for that! I wonder if it could be from that or from some medication they gave me. I'm reading online that it can take weeks after some medicines for,hives to happen. It started on my legs, and then spread, I am completely covered now..I cannot stop scratching..I know it's not good to scratch but it's BAD!! 

It gives me some relief that someone else got these too! It's horrible!!!

how long did yours last?

Jody

Cherlynn
on 12/23/12 2:29 pm

I'm sorry your are so miserable, the itching started about a week out and got really bad at 2 weeks then once that tape peeled off, it started going away immediately.  I thought it was the PPI I was prescribed at first but that wasn't the case.  Makes me itch now thinking of it.  I hope this clears up soon for you.

My goal is to just feel better and have the energy to be more active.  I love this tool!

Jodysdreams
on 12/23/12 2:33 pm

Awe..thanks! Yu know what? I put the word "hives" in the search box here, and there are tons of people who experienced hives after surgery!! OMG!!!! So At least I know I'm normal...I'm calling the doctor in the morning..I can't take this much longer!!

Oh well, gonna take some more Benadryl and hit the sack!  Hope you have a Merry Christmas!! XO

Jody

Cherlynn
on 12/23/12 2:38 pm

I sure hope they are able to help you with this.  Merry Christmas to you too and try not to scratch

mickeymantle
on 12/23/12 2:40 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you can get hives from the annarsizer I had it in the hospital and they gave me a antihistamine( also helped me sleep)

SuzyNZ
on 12/23/12 7:24 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
Yip, I always get it after anaesthetic, normally round my neck and chest. Got it about day 5 and lasted about 2 days of super itchy so I sent my mum down to the pharmacy and they gave her a really stong antihistamine cream that stopped the itch pretty quickly.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Julie L.
on 12/23/12 10:08 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

I didn't get hives but I got this weird rash on my face,  my whole face was red down to the base of the chin,  with big circles around my eyes where there was no rash so my skin there looked very white.   It was strange,  red face except for the eye area.   It happened the day after my surgery.   Doctors were stumped,  no idea what caused it.   It went away on it's own.   Then last week it came back for an evening (I'm 6 weeks post op).   Again,  left on it's own,  and NO idea what caused it.

kenwilliams
on 12/24/12 12:35 am

Try 50mg of Benadryl for the itching.  It should help.  Also keep track of anything new that you have added to your diet.  And yes, you can develop an allergy to anything regardless of how much exposure you have had in the past.  Including meds.

Most Active