Am I the only one?

stillalb
on 12/25/12 10:21 am

Who can't say no to cookies? Well, I can say no at the grocery store and they don't come into my house. We got a couple chocolate-ish edible gifts and both of them never made it home (one was regifted and the other was opened immediately and given to the people we were opening presents with). But, when a plate of homemade soft gooey cookies sits in my vicinity for a couple hours the part of my brain that got me this size seems to take over and win the arm wrestle with the part of my brain that knows better.

I gain strength from everyone's posts here and refuse to let the sweets come home with me (even though they are offered lol, even left the green bean casserole I made to contribute and gifted the casserole dish to the hostess). But, thought that maybe there are others out there that feel a bit like the only person who isn't 100% successful at always making the right choices.

Journaling everything - about 25 straight days journaling which is a nsv to me (and myfitnesspal.com). And back on track at home. But, the struggles continue - thank goodness for therapy. Happy holidays all!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

cajunlady1958
on 12/25/12 11:27 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
It will always be a struggle because we are creatures of habit. But the rewards are more than wprth it. I am on my fitness pal too, cajunlady1958.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Calking
on 12/25/12 4:04 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Basic Muffin In a Minute recipe (not cookies but just as satisfying)

1/4 Cup flaxseed Meal  (I used Bob's Red Mill - Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder (I used Rumford Premium Aluminum Free Reduced Sodium 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 tablespoon Splenda (optional) (I used Stevia instead)
1 egg (I used Papetti Foods Quick Eggs (2 oz.) which is equivalent to 1 egg)

Mix everything together in a coffee cup or small cereal bowl. Cook for one minute in the microwave. Turn the cup upside down to take the muffin out. If it looks wet, let it sit for a minute or so. I have these for breakfast. You can add blueberries, or try other additions. Some people add a tablespoon of cream cheese before cooking.

Putting the above information into myfitnesspal.com gave me 90 calories, 5 carbs, 4 fiber, 1 net carb, 5 fat, 9 protein, 0 cholesterol.

My friend Dave Schronce has a website with recipes for people that have had WLS such as himself.  The above recipe and others that might be helpful can be found here ... http://www.schronce.net/forum/index.php?16

Once you get to that site you can go to the link that is labeled "WLS Friendly" to find this and many other recipes.

I personally have tried the above recipe and it was quite satisfying.  Target sells a SF Gingerbread syrup that I added 2 tbsp of as well as a little pumpkin pie spice.  I could taste the gingerbread, very cool.  Also you could add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa and a little more Splenda (or Stevia) to offset the unsweetened cocoa.

Good Luck.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/25/12 5:09 pm, edited 12/25/12 5:11 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Are you using just egg whites? I love these, but made with a large whole egg the recipe has 190 calories, 9g carbs (8 are fibre), 12g protein. Considering how yummy they are and the fibre, I think they're well worth the calories when planned into my day.

I generally make a big batch and bake it in the oven. (or my mini cupcake maker) They're super handy to keep in the freezer.

Baked version:
1.5 cups flax meal
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 packets Splenda
6 eggs
1-2 tablespoons water

Mix well and bake ~ 20 minutes at 350. Makes 12 muffins.
Each muffin contains 95 calories, 4.5g carbs(4 fibre), 6g protein

I'm intrigued by the idea of making them with different flavours and will be checking out your friend's site. Thanks for the link!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Calking
on 12/26/12 4:15 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Papetti Foods makes two products (that I buy from Trader Joe's as they sell locally for $2 per pint size) one that is 100% Egg Whites and another is called Quick Eggs which is 99% egg whites but includes a few other things like vitamins and minerals and has the yellow coloring.  It seems to be thicker than the 100% egg whites.  

So the answer for the most part is yes I used egg whites and that worked well.  I will say I used 2 ounces instead of one egg and I did notice a slight egg taste to the muffin.  I think the next time I try to make them I will maybe try it with only 1.5 ounces to see if I get a little different result.  

The link I gave you also suggests using pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice in the recipe as well as a pizza version and others.  My friend Dave is quite an adventurous cook and loves to play with recipes to see how he can make them better and different.  

On a side note every morning I also use 2 ounces of the egg whites in my protein shake.  I love making protein shakes in the morning as I never know what they will end up like until I am finished.  I throw in the standard 8 ounces of almond milk or almond-coconut milk and the 2 ounces of egg whites.  Then I add other things as I go.  Every day seems to be a little different.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/26/12 5:29 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
We're Trader Joe deprived up here, but I've seen liquid egg whites available by he carton in the dairy section of the grocery store. I'm putting together my next lowcarbgrocery order and noticed powdered egg whites. I'm going to see if those work in these.

If they will I can make mixes for traveling and such - dump in bowl, stir in water and nuke. A plus of mixes is being able to make a half portion if I like. I made a standard recipe for breakfast this morning and it had to be both breakfast and lunch.

Have you tried cooking them in the oven? I have one of those countertop cupcake makers - bought mostly for making Fred-sized muffins. I'm going to try your friend's chocolate version as mini muffins this afternoon. Hmmm - I wonder if adding mashed bananas would give me a decent "banana bread" taste?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Calking
on 12/26/12 6:07 am
VSG on 05/31/12

To be honest I have only done this recipe once in the microwave.  My friend Dave mentioned that in place of the flaxseed meal you can use almond meal.  I would think that the almond meal with the mashed banana would more likely give you that banana bread taste.

Dave also has a recipe on his site ..

Almond Flour Banana Bread 

Prep time: 15 minutes 
Cook time: 55 minutes 

Ingredients (Makes 1 loaf): 

• 1 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour 
• 4 eggs 
• 1/4 cup oil (use whatever kind you like) 
• 1/4 cup splenda 
• 3 medium bananas, mashed(about 3/4 cup banana puree) 
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
• 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder 
• 1/2 teaspoon salt 
• 1/2 cup nuts or raisins (optional) 

Method: 
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, eggs, oil, splenda, mashed bananas, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt until there are no clumps. 
3. Fold the nuts, or any other mix-ins you might want into the batter. 
4. Lightly grease a 5 x 10 or similar sized loaf pan and pour in the batter. 
5. Bake for 55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. 
6. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before slicing. 

Again to save on calories I would try the above recipe with egg whites.  There are a lot of recipes on his website.  When you get into the WLS Friendly section please note that there are 3 pages of recipes.  Go to the bottom right hand side to get to the next page or last page.  On page three there is a recipe for a chocolate souffle that may also be another great choice.   Have fun.  

stillalb
on 12/26/12 10:59 pm

Thanks!! Looks like a great recipe- I may try it this weekend!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

71dart
on 12/25/12 5:59 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I hear ya. For me Oscar the Grouch has slain The Cookie Monster. This eating holiday season has made me absolutely irritable.

Urseo
on 12/25/12 10:20 pm - IL
VSG on 09/11/12

A wise person once said, about taking sweets, "Ask yourself, is this the start of something, or the end of something?"

That helps me assess if something is worth it.  Those tins of Danish butter cookies that are ubiquitous in every office this time of year?  Meh.  Never satisfying, leaving you wanting more.  But something made with love (and real ingredients you can pronounce)?

Maybe I'll take one as I'm headed out the door, after the meal, if it still sounds like a good idea.  That keeps me from taking two.  For some reason, giving myself permission to take it or leave it, instead of flat denial, relaxes my defensiveness around food, and actually helps me say "not now" instead of feeling resentful or deprived.  (Does this work for other people, or even make sense?)

Sounds like you're doing very well, with tracking everything, getting help, and not letting the stuff come home with you.