I've got to believe it's getting better.

ckpointchickie
on 12/26/12 9:16 am - IN
VSG on 11/20/12

It has not at all been what I anticipated. Was it preventable? Is it something I did wrong? I had my surgery on the 20th of November. Post surgery was typical, groggy, slight abdominal pain at the incision sites. For this day and the next several days, they brought me trays of various sugar free juices, sugar free jello, either chicken or beef broth and decaf tea. Day one, the jello was barely tolerable and the juice gagged me. Day two, I took a chance on chicken broth and jello, and begged for ice chips. From there on out,it was pretty much ice chips. I came home and the next thing I know, I am throwing everything up. Tried jello, sick...tried broth, sick...tried pudding, sick...

At this point, the nutritionist said back to clear liquids...what clear liquids? I was pretty much living on ice chips. I couldn't stand protein shakes, I tried taking ginger and drinking ginger tea. Thought it was the miracle cure until I got sick on it. Don't think I will come close to ginger for a very long time after that. By the 7th of December, I called my doctor's office and told them the difficulty I was having keeping nutrition in. They said to give it until the following Tuesday. No improvement, so I went in on the 12th for an upper GI. It was discovered that I had a stricture at the bottom of my pouch and therefore, nothing was passing through. On Friday, the 14th a doctor of endoscopy dilated the area. They told me to call if I got sick, to call right away. Well, I got sick. I called. Somehow in this period the endoscopist's office believes they told me to go to the ER and I said I would. But I thought we left it that the endoscopist was calling me back. I heard back from them on Monday am (17th) and was directed to the ER where I was found to be malnourished and dehydrated. I was put on IV nutrtion, sterioids, insulin, vitamins and anti nausea meds. I was released on Friday the 21ar and set up with home health care. which I am still on. I did not get to spend Christmas with my family this year. Thank goodness for my wonderful fiancee who has been by my side through it all.

I have lost 30 lbs, although this was not the way to do it. I blame no one, it is what it is. And while a blizzard kept my nutrition bags from being delivered today and my home health nurse was not able to get here to do my blood draw, I have enough to get me through foodwise until they deliver tomorrow AND I have been able to hold down small amounts of solid food today. The only thing I can say is maybe I am starting to turn the corner and I will be able to look back on this more positively later. Were there times I wish I hadn't had the surgery? You betcha! But attitude is everything and I am going to fight to turn this into a success! Stay tuned...

shrinking_sarah
on 12/26/12 9:19 am - CA

Wow!  I will stop complaining about my pre-op diet right now!  You are a trooper!

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

stillalb
on 12/26/12 9:50 am

Wow!! You are amazing and your positive attitude after an abnormally difficult start to this journey is only a testament to how incredibly successful you are bound to be. It sounds like things will only be better from here on out but you have certainly learned that you have the strength to survive hardship. I only hope I can show the same fortitude. Good job!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

lucy2e
on 12/26/12 10:15 am - Laurel, MD

I'm sorry you have had such a rough start and pray that you are in fact turning the corner.  

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

MuttLover
on 12/26/12 10:26 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Sorry to hear that you had such a rough start!  Glad to see that you are making improvements, and I'm sending good vibes and well wishes your way!  

Here's to a new year and new healthier you!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

LNC62
on 12/26/12 11:04 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

You mentioned a stricture in your pouch.  Did you have the VSG or RNY surgery?

ckpointchickie
on 12/26/12 11:43 am - IN
VSG on 11/20/12

Thank you so much to all of you wonderfully supportive people.  I had the gastric sleeve procedure. My wonderful surgeon (Dr. Kerlakian) called me (while on vacation) at 9:30 this evening to check on me.  How great are people, I ask you?  I feel very much better than I have in weeks.  I know there will be bumps in the road, but getting a whole new life has to have a price, right?

chubby_cinderella
on 12/26/12 2:16 pm
VSG on 01/28/13
Glad your feeling better. Sorry thatyou had to go thru so much, but I'm glad your keeping a positive attitude.
Sleeveless
on 12/26/12 6:22 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

What an ordeal! I'm so glad you got good medical care and had love and support from your fiancée. I sincerely hope the tide has turned and you're in for some smooth sailing.

Please take good care of yourself!

Teasha1
on 12/27/12 2:19 am
VSG on 06/04/12
I am sorrry you have been having such a challenge. I didnt so many challenges but I remember feeling I just wanted to feel normal I was so frustrated I threw up a lot. I am no 6.5 months out and it does get better. Please keep up your great attitude you are bound for great success. Lorna

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views