Just never know how it will go.

busymom39
on 12/30/12 8:39 am
I have been very open about my surgery and most people are very excited. I have a friend that is very over weight and told me she was jealous that I had surgery. Today I was at a Christmas party and she walked by me and hastily said hello. I wasn't sure how to take it. When I got home she had sent me a message to say that I looked awesome. She apologized for being so hasty as she had to get her bf to work. I had all kinds of needless drama worked up in my head. Sometimes we imagine stuff that just isn't there.

In other news, I ate my chobani yogurt while everyone around me had prime rib. It is still strange to me that I could careless what other people are eating.
bigred_z
on 12/30/12 8:52 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Maybe you'll end up being her inspiration to do as you did!  The best flattery of all. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Calking
on 12/30/12 3:09 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

In this journey there will be people you tell that will say negative things such as it being the "easy way out".  Most of us have heard this or even thought this ourselves.  For that reason a lot of people on here are very cautious about who they tell or what reaction they may receive after telling about it.  In my opinion I say only one thing ... who cares what they say or think.

If someone hadn't shared their success with me four years ago my health would likely still be in jeopardy.  I use my experience as a teaching moment for anyone I think would like to hear about it.  You actually don't know who's life you may end up saving.  I consider this surgery to be life saving for myself.  The fact that I choose to save my life supersedes anything that anyone can say to me or about this surgery.  I have come to the point of realizing that I just don't care what anyone thinks. 

There are stores I go to a lot and people in these stores (employees) have seen me a lot prior to surgery.  They saw me drop the weight.  They see me now 93 pounds lighter than I was in this past May.  Some ask about it.  I tell them point blank about the surgery and how it saved my life.  I don't really care what they think about my answer.  I figure that if they themselves don't want to do something similar either because they don't need to or for other reasons ... I may have at least planted a seed.  Not only do you have a story for them but some day down the road they may share it with a friend that needs the surgery and it may help that friend out.  

When I first started thinking very seriously about this surgery my father was kind of against it.  I told him about the woman I met 4 years ago and how successful she was and the process that she went through.  This eased his mind enough so that he financed my surgery.  Of course I had to supply him with some additional specifics but the fact that I personally knew somebody that had this exact surgery and did so wonderfully helped a great deal.

So my point is that nobody should be afraid to share this surgery and how successful you have been at it.  Even if it opens you up to some negative comments at some point it may save someone's life.  Don't think for a second that obesity isn't killing you.  And it usually is a pretty slow death where things can go from bad to worse fairly quickly.  There is a strain on your heart and other organs. They can only take so much for so long.  

Sorry about the rant.  By the way I hadn't seen my father in over 10 years and since I have always been overweight since high school and perhaps a bit earlier that is how he remembered me.  I went and saw him this past Thanksgiving and he was smiling from ear to ear.  He kept saying that he had to keep looking at me because he really didn't recognize me.  I was 231 pounds probably even when he saw me last and during Thanksgiving I was about 144 pounds.  Even 3 days later he couldn't get enough.  He still commented that he has to do double takes as it is hard for him to recognize his own son.  What a present of new life beginnings he gave me.  I am glad he was so proud to see that this surgery and my hard work really paid off.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Sleeveless
on 12/30/12 8:35 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Calking, that is one of the loveliest NSVs I've ever read!

busymom39
on 12/30/12 9:49 pm
I couldn't agree with you more! I'm glad your Dad got to see all of your hard work.
RedStar98
on 12/30/12 11:51 pm - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12

Thanks for the post; I'm now thinking I shouldn't be worried about tomorrow, but there is a little worry still there, background is; I have a friend one of 4 I shared the news about my surgery with, from the get go, this friend (yes she is overweight) has been distant; giving me all the advice she can on how I will still have to watch what I eat, and you can always gain it back, many people do.. blah blah, I haven't seen her since prior to the surgery (October 2nd); well tomorrow she has an open house, a yearly event, and I wasn't sure I was getting invited, until I sent her a text asking if her Christmas was nice, she then told me to stop by.. I'll be blatantly honest.. part of me wants to go and slam it in her face that I'm down 58 lbs, the other part of me wants to not shove it in her face, because I know how she feels, I've been there.  I guess we'll see tomorrow how it goes.. the other thing I'm fully prepared for is for others to notice the weight loss who haven't seen me in a while, and for my friend to mention the surgery, almost as a smug remark.. but I'm ready for that.. it is what it is, and I had the surgery to help become healthy. 

Most Active