HIVES..Itching..anyone else experience this?

Jodysdreams
on 1/2/13 2:46 pm
I am still suffering with hives like crazy! My doctor gave me a shot, put me on prednisone and I still have itchy hives all over my legs! I am starting to think I might have a allergy to the metal staples..I have gone over everything else..this started after surgery..I am at a loss! Has anyone else experienced this? I am still in misery!

Jody

moonglo82
on 1/2/13 2:50 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Just my initial thought, but my guess is that the hives would be closer to your staples (we are talking staples from vsg surgery, right?), and not your legs primarily, if the staples were the cause.  IMO, this sounds more like an allergy to some kind of medicine you are on, or maybe even something you are eating.  I've never heard of anyone being allergic to those staples, as they are supposed to be hypo-allergenic... but I'm no expert, either.

Wish I had more advice, but I hope you get this straightened out soon.  I would call the doctor back tomorrow and let them know you still have a problem with this.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Jodysdreams
on 1/2/13 3:04 pm

Yep! Going back next week,,maybe she can get me allergy tested..this is hard to deal with! I have never had anything like this..so it is direct affect of surgery..somehow..thanks for the reply!

Jody

SuzyNZ
on 1/2/13 3:04 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I had this too, but it was around my neck. I get it as a reaction to one of the anaesthesia drugs. About a week after surgery I literally wanted to scratch me neck off and had the most gorgeous rash all over my chest. It was VERY attractive!...lol

I spoke to the anaesthetist and he told me to take antihistamines (I used Razene as I had that at home) and I also got a high strength topical antihistamine creme from the pharmacy. Can't remember the name of it, but Im in New Zealand, so brands are different here in some cases.

Talk to your doctor about something similar. The two combined cleared mine up in a few days.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

vogue
on 1/2/13 8:56 pm
VSG on 08/30/12

I had it and it was a reaction to the pain meds ( morphine)....      and then the dumbazzes at the hospital sent me home with oxymorphone(sp) for pain relief despite the BIG RED WRIST BRACELET saying morphine allergy

tlpldy
on 1/2/13 9:30 pm

I had blisters come up all over my tummy from the adhesives used during surgery, as well as even household bandaids.  I have never had a reaction to adhesives before, and have used bandaids since the surgery again with no blisters.  I think the surgery just tends to send the body into an ultrasensitized mode and we react more easily.  I now have scars from the blisters that are worse than my incisions scars. 

For me, high doses (at the direction of the hospital nurse) of benadryl for three days got the reaction to calm down and begin healing.  It sounds like you are already in touch with the dr. and thinking of all of the possible causes, there isnt' much more you can do. 

You can try an oatmeal or alcohol bath, either can help to ease the itching.  I certainly think it sounds like maybe time to bring in an allergist. 

Have you thought of the vitamins/supplements/protien shakes??  Those things aren't as regulated or tested as pharmaceutical drugs, so they are more likely to cause reactions.  They often have tons of allergans in them.  I know I have to be very careful what supplements I use. 

Jackie T.
on 1/2/13 10:20 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Any pain meds?  I have a lot of problems with Loritab so I told them I would not take it after surgery.  Morphine can cause them too but it should last.

Good luck, I hope they go away quickly!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views