4 years out - check in

TammyGirl1
on 1/1/13 6:09 am - Oakley, CA

Well actually a few days past my surgerversary. I try to pop in and read the forums every once in awhile but not as often as the 1st few years. I loot down to my goal at about 11 months and stayed there for the the first 2 years. I have put about 12 pounds back on year 3 till now. It is definitely a hard road but has been the single best thing I have done for myself and family in my life. Every day is a struggle to keep what bad habits I haven't already brought back in my life. But every day I also think about how grateful I am to be healthy and thinner than I could have ever maintained prior to surgery.  FYI, I did have plastics one year out to get rid of extra skin and replace my empty saggy socks (bewbies) with a perky pair.

I have posted a few recent pics to my account if you would like to see my journey.

I wish all my pre and post op peeps success and happiness!!!

Tammy

TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/13 6:22 am
VSG on 06/04/12

You look amaaazing! The real inspiration for me isn't even the weight loss, it's that you've managed to basically maintain it for so long. That's the real victory. Good for you and thanks for giving me some hope and inspiration today!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/13 6:33 am

Tammy, I wonder if you remember me.  You send me a protein powder when I was just starting out.  It really touched my heart and I have done the same in your name many times since then.  I am so glad you are doing well and yes, it does get harder the further out we get.  I am 3.5 years out now and the last few months have been harder than the previous three years.  I have talked to a number of people further out and they all seem to more or less confirm that there is something going on in the 3-5 year range that makes maintenance harder.  It is probably that we have learned to eat around our sleeves and maintenance is no longer such an exciting thing, there are no more compliments and we are left to motivate ourselves.

Would you mind sharing a few things with us.  How is your restriction now as compared to six months out, a year out, three years out?  What are the habits, patterns that you credit with maintaining your weight loss?  If you had any piece of advice for those of us following in your footsteps, what would it be?  Thank you for your generous spirit when I first started out and for posting now.

TammyGirl1
on 1/1/13 8:49 am - Oakley, CA
Hey Elina! I am so glad you got benefit of that protein I sent! I remember meeting you and I think it was your mother at the NorCal luncheon right before your surgery. My restriction today is much less than at six months. Back then even slider foods filled me up pretty quickly although I didn't let much off plan food drink in the first year. My restriction is still really good if I eat highly dense protein. About 3 oz of rotisserie chicken breast will fill me up with a few bites of other stuff. I feel almost no restriction on carbs and could if I choose eat a lot at one sitting including breads that would stop me cold early out. One thing I find though and it could be more of the "head" thing is, I can be completely satisfied on dense protein and think I am hungry an hour later now..even though it should keep me full longer. I find if I keep myself hydrated I don't feel hunger as much ( real or head).

I credit my success mainly to exercise which I do every say (think I may have missed 4 days in the last 6 months). I also attribute it to support groups that keep me aware and accountable. I go to a monthly wls support meeting and monthly luncheon. I also joined weigh****chers when I hit maintenance for the additional support and knowledge of healthy eating. The program recommends tracking all food and exercise which was what I did in the losing phase and has helped me be accountable. I still try to go to a meeting every Saturday now that I am lifetime.

My advice would to be to exercise (at whatever level you can) EVERY day, find support groups that will help you stay accountable and aware (I don't know how many times I have gone to one and felt "reset" and "enthusiastic" when I left), try to eat healthy most of the time (we are human so 100% is unrealistic), and finally, don't beat yourself up if/when you think you have screwed up with food (or anything else in life)...accept it and move on with the next healthy meal!

Hope this helps!
Tammy

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/13 2:35 pm

Thank you Tammy, you are amazing. 

GettingFitBy40
on 1/1/13 6:59 am - Antioch, CA
Wow! Amazing results! By the way, I live in Antioch, near Laurel & Hillcrest! Have you gone to any local support groups here in our area? What restaurants do you go to in our area that are safe for these pouches? Kaiser Richmond is doing my surgery and hopefully that is in March! Tomorrow I see the shrink!

Glad to see more local folks near me. I feel like I am the only one in the Bay area having this surgery. Need the local ideas and support too!

Jennifer
TammyGirl1
on 1/1/13 8:57 am - Oakley, CA
Hey gettingfitby40!
I live off Cypress in Oakley. I go to John Muir support group at 10am 2nd sat of the month in Concord. It is open to all. I am also a part of the wonderful NorCal group here on the site. We have a luncheon or outing most 2nd sat of the month at 1pm in Concord at Coco's. you should join us!
Tammy

GettingFitBy40
on 1/2/13 12:31 am - Antioch, CA
Hi Tammi!

Thank you for the info and I would love to join both! This would be great for me to meet new people in California since I am new here and to meet people who have walked in my shoes!!! I will send you a private message for more info!

Thanks again!
Jennifer
moonchild1968
on 1/1/13 8:18 am - Tucker, GA

Thank you so much for stopping by to update your status.  So many of us search this site for stories from people you have some time under their belt.  It gives me a bit more confidence in my decision to move forward and get a revision.   I look forward to your responses to the questions by another poster...about how current restriction compares to early restriction.

Thanks and continued success.

smbergie200
on 1/1/13 10:34 am - Naples, FL

I assume the hot girl in the bikini on your avatar is you? If so - I like what I see! Congrats!

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views