Looking for people who have converted to the sleeve from the band

angdenise
on 1/1/13 9:43 am - IN
VSG on 05/28/13

Hi,

I'm considering converting my band to a sleeve and was wanting to know what the experience has been for others who have done that.  I lost 140lbs with the band (have gained about 60 back due to a combination of hormones, low thyroid and bad habits).  I like having the restriction of the band but get frustrated when I get stuck on healthy foods.  Was wanting to know if there was additional weight loss with the conversion and were there any other complications?  Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Angie

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

Teresa J.
on 1/1/13 10:01 am - McKinney, TX
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I had my band surgery in 2007 and in August of 2012 had my band removed and my sleeve revision surgery. With the band I lost about 35 lbs in 5 years and gained it all back. Since my revision I have lost 54 lbs and only 35 lbs to go till I reach goal. I love not getting stuck and love the restriction that I have with my sleeve. Only negative has been I get sick when I eat sugary foods. Not really a negative but hard lesson to learn.

Teresa

angdenise
on 1/2/13 1:35 am - IN
VSG on 05/28/13

I could really use a sensitivity to sugary foods.  I would consider the RNY for that reason but am terrified of the complications.  So good to know I could possibly have issues with sugar. 

wink~~~Angie~~~

danixbanani
on 1/1/13 10:30 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I was banded in 2008, lost 50lbs , kept it off for about 2 years and then gained  it all back and then some.  I had my band removed in July and then had the sleeve done this past October.  Since surgery I've lost 40lbs and the sleeve works the way I expected the band to work.  While I haven't gotten down to the same weight loss with the band just yet, I have no doubt that I will.  I wish I had chosen this surgery back in 2008 rather than the band which gave me GERD and a hiatal hernia.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

BuckeyeGirl
on 1/1/13 11:05 am - TN

I had my band just under 3 years. In my first year I lost about 65 lbs. I began to have complications at the beginning of my second year with the band. I would experience random tightening and at times I couldn't even drink water. I had numerous unfills, after which I'd be wide open and could eat everything under the sun just like pre-op, but about 3-4 weeks after an unfill, I'd experience the random tightening again. When my band would close up, I'd be unable to eat any healthy foods and sometimes even had trouble drinking water. I eventually had to be completely unfilled and ended up gaining back nearly all of the weight I lost.

I revised to the sleeve. My ticker below reflects all weight lost after my sleeve. The sleeve works like I thought the band would. I was able to eat a high protein diet, but I was satisfied with far less food. I have consistent restriction whether I eat in the morning or at night, in the winter or during the summer, during plane or car travel, etc. etc. 

I used to be very proud to say that I've NEVER vomited with my sleeve, but on Christmas Eve I got some kind of stomach bug and so now I can't say that anymore! ha ha, but at least I went 2+ years without vomiting and it was not at all eating related.

Anyway, for me the sleeve is the hands down winner. You still have to do your part to make the most of it.

Best of luck,

Lindsey

120wannabe
on 1/1/13 12:33 pm - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 12/04/12

Angie,

I had the band in 2009 and lost, maybe 5 to 10 lbs. I had revision 12/4/12. I only wish that I had done it sooner. See my blog to see my story.

Best of luck on your decision.

Susan :-)

reneemosley
on 1/2/13 1:07 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

I had my band in 2006, revision in 2012. I wish I would have chosen the sleeve first.

Best decision.

Lost 30 Lbs and gained more with band.

I could never eat healthy foods with the band and that has been great.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

angdenise
on 1/2/13 1:28 am - IN
VSG on 05/28/13

Hi,  Thaks for all the replies.  Ironically, I was the poster child for lap band success losing 50% of my excess weight.  I have gained back some and have always had minor issues with my band.  First, I've discovered how to eat around it and get stuck all the time on silly stuff.  It can be unpredictable....I can either get nothing down or everything.  Finally, the scariest thing that I have noticed is that if I am stuck and lay down then fluid will build up and I wake up aspirating and coughing which often results in a fever and a trip to my allergist for steroids (not good for weight) and antibiotics....this has happened at that severity about 6 times.  So please, keep the responses coming if you have converted to a sleeve.  I need to know that it is the best choice for me (and have good rationale to ease my families mind as to why i am going through a surgery).  Also, everyone, what is the worst side effect/complication you have had with the sleeve?  Thanks all!!

wink~~~Angie~~~

Most Active