I swear sometimes I'm dumber than a bag of hammers...

bigred_z
on 1/3/13 1:22 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Exasperated sigh* 

So I hate taking pills, and I decide to not take my PPI as regularly as I had been.  No return of heartburn, so I quickly forgot about taking them at all.  Enter intense head hunger and cravings for last 4-5 days, leaving me scratching my head wondering, why now?   Then someone today asks for the millionth time....WHY AM I SO HUNGRY???  And for the millionth time, I see the first answer....are you taking your PPI? 

I now see the light.  DUH!  Sometimes seeing the same damn question, and the same damn answer can make all the difference in the world when I am still operating with my same damn dumb brain. 

Signed,

Tarded

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

acbbrown
on 1/3/13 1:27 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Well you are in good company from someone who - after 18 months ought to freaking know better - just went 3 days without my PPI and I feel like dying.  Except mine is nothing but physical hunger - today felt like pre-op kind of hunger. UGHH. 

Must. Take. PPI. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

stillalb
on 1/3/13 1:33 pm
Speaking of dumb lol, PPI?
I am guessing prevacid or something?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

lena F.
on 1/3/13 1:33 pm
VSG on 01/07/13

Pre-op here! Whats a PPI? and does everyone get it? I have a feeling i should know about this considering surgery is just 3 days away! LOL

cmmdrwolf
on 1/3/13 1:38 pm - Harrison, TN
VSG on 10/04/12

PPI Protein Pump Inhibitor, causes your body to decrease the amount of stomach acid that is produced. Nexium, prevacid, Omeprazole ( the one i take daily) over the counter of can have your doctor get you a script for it.

deemyers
on 1/3/13 1:50 pm
VSG on 02/05/13
why would acid cause hunger? I dont get it. I thought gherilin would be the one that would cause hunger. Does that mean that you will have to take your ppi for forever?
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/3/13 2:07 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Acid sometimes and for some people mimics hunger. Those who have had reflux usually feel better if they eat so yes a PPI helps there. This is NOT everyone's lot however. I stopped taking my Nexium six weeks post op just like ordered by my doc and I am now three months out and I have no acid issues nor do I feel hunger to the point of it being a problem. Some stomach acid is a good thing and we need it. So you have to see how you fare specifically before you decide on the PPI for life question. I think hunger is not necessarily something to remove completely. We have to learn to manage it and hopefully it will be manageable because reduced by the surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

bigred_z
on 1/3/13 2:54 pm, edited 1/3/13 2:57 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

PPI, Proton Pump Inhibitor (Not Protein ;))  Prilosecs, Nexiums etc that inhibit acid production in the stomach.

Wantmylife:  ALL good points, but for me, I think I still need em.  Until I get into some therapy to help deal with and identify triggers, issues, and strategies...I'll cave to cravings.  With my stomach rumbling and carrying on, it just makes me focus on what I am not eating instead of the health I am gaining by changing bad habits.  Does that make sense?  In other words, if I don't feel hungry, its easier to escape my constant dwelling on food. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

slatond
on 1/4/13 1:01 am

Oh your post made me giggle... and count me in as the "dumber than a bag of hammers" group. I stopped PPI's cause they gave me nightmares and I've been dealing w/ Hunger lately and was still scratching my head trying to figure it out. LIGHT BULB.... thanks for reminding me.

Most Active