Therapy, getting the ball rolling...

bigred_z
on 1/7/13 2:29 pm, edited 1/7/13 5:45 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

"Hi there.  I am looking for a therapist that has experience in dealing with bariatric wt loss patients.  I have had the lap band and the sleeve.  I am specifically looking to find ways to identify and deal with head hunger, identify trigger foods, and would like to know what makes me an emotional eater?  In other words, I didn't eat all this because I was hungry.  What am I feeding?  Why food?  How do I fix it?  Can you help me?"

This is what I emailed to several  therapists in my area.  No one really had bariatric experience, it was all weight loss experience.  This concerns me since they take the approach that isn't surgical.  

I hear so many of you say your therapist was the best thing you could have done for yourself after surgery. So how do you know what therapist is the one for you?

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

jenlaur1
on 1/7/13 7:09 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

Your weight surgery program's psychiatrist might know of someone who can help you..maybe they can.  That's what they're there for.  Don't forget the support groups.  That's another reason why they are there, too.  I think a therapist is like a doctor..you kinda have to look around to who you feel comfortable with.  How do they make you feel when you'r with them, etc?  Maybe someone else will have some better insight. :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

chanteuse1
on 1/7/13 9:41 pm - LA
VSG on 09/05/12

I second the notion of asking in support group for a recommendation, if you have a support group.  Also, I notice that Independence isn't very large.  Have you checked the nearest large city?  Is it Cincinnati?  You may have better results if you widen your search a bit.

sleevegirl
on 1/7/13 9:47 pm - Austin, TX

My therapist didn't have specific bariatric experience, but she took time to learn about it and hear me as far as what I'm doing and why. Interesting that she has at least 2 other WLS patients now :)

Here's the thing... she works with eating disorders and compulsions. Which I STILL HAVE and that really is the most important thing to me. She's learned about the mechanics of what I did and she's helping me deal with the WHY part of it. The why didn't change. Keep in mind, she's not your nutritionist. She's your therapist. While the surgeon fixed your stomach and not your head... she can help fix your head, not your stomach :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/13 9:57 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I called the office where they performed my psych evaluation during the pre-op stage for a referral. The psychiatrist that performed my eval remembered me and even though he wasn't taking patients decided to put me on his schedule. If your program didn't require a psych evaluation I'd call a different nearby bariatric program and ask them where they send their patients. 

SleevedLife
on 1/7/13 9:59 pm

I learned that a good therapist won't take on a patient that they don't feel is a good fit for their area of expertise.  I found my first therapist from support group, I went to a meeting with her which was about a 2 hour long discussion.  She referred me to my current therapist who she felt was better equipped and more experienced in dealing with my particular issues. 

The first meeting, at least in my experience, was just to feel each other out and see if we mutually thought the fit was good.  I liked the therapist I got referred too, so I decided to continue with her rather than seeking out another. 

So, I'm saying all of this to say that you may just need to pick one and check them out.  If you don't feel you connect, you can move on to another.  I think those in this profession are used to people coming just once and then moving on.  They don't take it personally, just like I didn't take it personally when my first choice of therapist referred me to someone else.

Good luck!

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/8/13 6:51 am

The bariatric surgery issue isn't as important as finding a therapist who deals with eating disorders.  The method being used for weight loss is less important than the pathway you took to get to where you are.  So sort through your list and find the ones who said they have eating disorders experience and then check into them.  Hope that helps.

bigred_z
on 1/8/13 7:10 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

All of your replies have been helpful!  Most of these therapists do have specialty in eating disorders, so it looks like i am headed the right direction.  Thanks!!

Most Active