PICC LINE!?!?!

Lindsey72386
on 1/8/13 2:55 am - IN

I went and saw my nurse today to get all the stuff I needed for my pre op liquid diet...dates and times of surgery and all the other appointments.....She mentioned that I could either get an IV or a PICC LINE but the doctor will let me know which one he wants me to have. I have never heard of or seen a PICC LINE before. Can someone shed some light on it and if it hurts or whatever the case may be PLEASE!!!!

Thanks!

mimij
on 1/8/13 3:04 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

PICC is a peripherally inserted central catheter, meaning it is an IV catheter that is longer than the peripheral kind inserted in your hand. The length of it allows it to be threaded into a central vein-the vena cava usually. The insertion start point is normally the inside of the elbow where you normally have blood drawn. I have never had one done on me so I don't know if it hurts. I would imagine it would not feel much different than a regular IV since you would only feel the stick of the needle- If You know how an IV feels. I am not sure why the doctor would choose a PICC line unless you are a difficult stick.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Lindsey72386
on 1/8/13 3:35 am - IN

I had to have Iron transfusions done once a week thru an IV and I was a hit or miss but I think I have decent veins! Thanks for the information tho that helps!

Christine Heusinger
on 1/8/13 4:46 am - GA

I was originally told that I would have a PICC line inserted before surgery. Then when I went for my pre-op visit my surgeon looked at my hands and said I had "great veins" (what every girl yearns to hear) and that he would do a straight IV instead.

I tell you, after a couple of days I kinda wish I had had a PICC line because my hand was sore to the touch for several days.

Either way... it's just a vehicle for getting your fluids and pain meds into you pronto!

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/8/13 5:29 am

I didn't have a PICC line for the surgery, but I did have one three months ago.  I had pnuemonia and my veins kept collapsing, plus they were doing blood draws all the time so I was like a walking pin cushion..,lol.  One of the nurses begged me to get a PICC line but I was scared...so they gave me VERSET(sp) some very happy don't remember what happened juice and frankly I thought it was a miracle.  It never bothered  me after they put it in and it really saved me because it has two parts...one where they put the IVs in and one where they draw blood out of...so no more needle sticks from drawing blood.  I had it in almost 30 days and it was a breeze.  Hope that helps.

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/8/13 5:30 am

Geez need to read better before I hit post...I had one 3 years ago....lol

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/8/13 5:36 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I had the whatever...IV or PICC on the inside of my elbow. It was not painful at all and took a couple of seconds to put in. I have the most terrible veins that are burried under layers of fat and when one is found finally, it twists and turns and runs away from the needle. The anesthesiologist put it in himself and he was really expert at it because I felt nothing at all. He may have actually anesthetized the inside of my elbow first if my memory serves me now, so that the veins would not move for the time he needed to put in the needle and catheter. It was the easiest insertion ever. I am not looking forward to tomorrow and getting my 3 months labs and the blood draw for that....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/13 6:51 am
RNY on 04/23/13

A PICC line is a line that is put it with the tip or rned of it sitting in a large vein in your chest. It is used when your normal IV access is tricky or could be tricky . It can last for 12 months rather than a usual IV that needs to be changed very few days to reduce risk of infection.  They are often used on overweight people as their veins are hard to locate.  If you suddenly lose an IV during surgery or post op it might be impossible to get a new line in when you need it most.  Having a PICC is like a insurance policy!  After it is put in you need a chest Xray just to make sure that the tip is sitting in the right place then its all set to go.  You have a short piece of tubing with a bung on the end just inside the crook of your arm which is well secured with a flat dressing.

Picc lines are more complicated to put in (shouldnt be more painful).  It is like putting in a normal IV but a long thin plastic tube is threaded up your arm into your chest (you dont feel it).  The advantage is that it lasts so long and you can out more types of fluids through it should you need it during or post surgery.  The dressing is changed once a week and it doesnt hurt (apart from getting the sticky stuff off!!)  

I would happily have one if needed - they just look a bt scary but in fact are great things.

http://www.thewomens.org.au/PeripheralinsertedcentralcatheterPICC

Hope this helps

Rani

(Registered Nurse & Midwife)

KnitsByMama
on 1/8/13 7:02 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

First, calm down, it's ok. Either way. I have had a PICC line before, not for VSG, but for a spinal infection that required at home IV antibiotics for almost 2 months. PICC lines are great, they are much more stable and have a much less chance for infection plus they can stay in for extended periods of time. Insertion of the PICC isn't very fun, I'll give you that, but if they put it in while you are under anesthesia then no biggie! A PICC is basically a long term IV that is threaded directly into an artery in you heart. I was awake when they threaded mine and I did fine, got scared and had some anxiety but it didn't hurt at all. 

Lindsey72386
on 1/8/13 7:54 pm - IN

Thank you for all the info! I feel much better about it now that I know it doesn't hurt any worse than an IV!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views