low Iron and the VSG

dot4you
on 1/9/13 8:38 am - CA

Anyone dealing with low iron since the sleeve? Had my vsg done in Jan 2008 and for the last 2 years I have been fighting low iron. It is HORRIBLE!  So tired and everything is a BIG effort...Tomorrow I'm having my first iron intravenously and I can't wait!! I have to do this every other day for 5 treatments to get my numbers up ASAP Retest in 2 months to see where I am. My doctor said it is related to being a woman (periods) and the VSG.

I really just want to feel better fast! Wondering if any of you can relate. And if you can't, please take your iron & vitamins as your doctor tells you to. And keep up with your labs so you always know where your levels are...it is so important.

Stay healthy and strong!

enzati
on 1/9/13 8:52 am - Columbus, OH

I'm starting my third year out. I have low levels as well and ended up needing the IV iron as well. Honestly, I didn't notice a big difference right away.....but after a few months, I was feeling like my old self again. Before I was SO cold and so tired all the time. The infusions themselves were no big deal, I still struggle with some low numbers but they are much better now. Hope you are better soon! 

Jaime
post-op VSG    
dot4you
on 1/10/13 3:35 am - CA

Well your story gives me hope!! Just do what the doctors tell you to do and all will be well! Glad to hear you are back to yourself again. I can't wait to say the same thing!!!!

pineview01
on 1/9/13 9:13 am - Davison, MI

I have a question for you two as I'm just starting out.  Did you have your labs at all the set times?  Did your levels go down slowly or fast just lately?  What was your iron regiment up till now?  I want to do what I can to avoid this if at all possible.  Any help would be appreciated.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Watson
on 1/9/13 9:55 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

I am dealing with low iron now for a year now this month. I had my VSG in June of 2010. I started on an iron supplement for about 7 months now. My iron count is still a low side by a few points to this day. It's improving very slowly then it levels off then down a little bit and back up again. I take "Nature Made Iron 65 mg Equivalent to 325 mg Ferrous Sulfate" (I take two tablets in the evening time) with "Nature Made Chewable C Vitamin 500 mg" (one chewable tablet, also in the evening time). I do get my labs done regularly with my doctor. I even have my calcium, vitamin B, and vitamin D checked out at the same time that I get my iron checked. My low iron count is must likely due to the VSG surgery that I had done.

AnnieinIA
on 1/9/13 11:17 am
I agree it's important to have your labs done. I am 4 months out and had labs done about 3 weeks ago. My iron level is very HIGH! I saw a hemotologist on Monday and, among other things, he said to stop taking iron supplements immediately.

Annie
dot4you
on 1/9/13 11:20 am - CA

I'd been feeling great after surgery and strong...I was bad about my labs. My doctor is in MX and too far. I was feeling good and at a year I had a full blood panel and vit. levels checked. Everything looked good...As time went on I'd have regular blood work but not  gastric dr following me.  Summer of 2011 I started feeling tired and then one day found it hard to breath..with my history I went to the ER and that's when they found the anemia... I took iron pills and stopped my periods with a procedure my doctor ordered...I started feeling better and my numbers came up...They said I was loosing blood somewhere and ordered every test looking for blood loss. NOTHING. They blamed it on heavy periods (periods started off and on again) and VSG... the doc now said there is no way I can catch up fast with diet or iron pills. My Ferritin is 8 right now and should be 50-100.

I wish I had paid more attention. Even though I felt great, I needed to keep a closer watch. Lesson learned the hard way.

I hope new VSGers will be careful and watchful of their health & labs. Can't stress that enough.

Wishing everyone strength and health!!

AniO
on 1/9/13 12:37 pm

I had my VSG in August of 2010. At my one year post op, my levels were fine. When I went for my two year check up, my iron was below 4. I had a bunch of other low levels (feritin, vitamin D, folate and B12). They sent me to see a hematologist. She gave me an iron supplement that didn't work well for me (it made me quesy) and then switched me to Hemax. She said if my levels didn't go up with the pills, I was going to have to get iron infusions. Within one month I was no longer anemic. She told me to take the Hemax only once every other day now. From what I've learned, my understanding is that VSG removes the part of your stomach that produces intrinsic factor which helps you absorb iron. Hemax has intrinsic factor (I don't know if the other supplements do). The Hemax also has a stool softener, but not enough for me. The iron constipates me so I also take a stool softener. I feel sooooo much better. Before surgery, I would get my menstrual cycle only once every few months. I am regular now and my period is heavier. I also nursed my three babies (two for 15 months and the last one for 22 months). The doc said those things helped deplete my iron also. 

My cousin had gastric bypass back in 2003. She had had to do a series of iron infusions on several occasions. She doesn't take supplements in between. I'm trying to convince her to do the supplements, but she won't listen. I think it's important to supplement. I'll never slack off like I did. 

AniO

dot4you
on 1/10/13 3:29 am - CA

Anio You have been through a lot with your iron also. After they get my levels back up and i feel human again maybe she'll have me on the Hemax that you're taking. Sounds like it works really well for you.

I have to say I'm bummed that this issue has come up. I don't remember reading that this could happen OR i didn't want to SEE that it COULD HAPPEN.

I 'm just grateful that it's something the doctors can correct.

Wish everyone the best with their health and energy!!

Lori_43
on 1/9/13 3:58 pm - CA
VSG on 06/05/13

so strange to me..low iron and i am bleeding somewhere on the inside is what is keeping me from having my VSG i think my girl parts are going on the fritz..fine with me i dont need it anymore.

i only hope it gets figured out soon so i can get on with my goals.

Most Active