Anyone have regrets on getting VSG?????

Jackie T.
on 1/10/13 10:11 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am 3 weeks, 2 days out and do not regret it!  I have lost 36lbs including the 10 day diet before surgery.  This is both a mental and physical journey.  Your comment about not being to ever eat again, only in my opinion, is the wrong thing to concentrating on.  You need to concentrate on what you will be able to do once you get the weight off, not what your going to be able to eat.

I am at the point where I am trying to bring back in certain foods and not all of them agree with me.  For example, hamburger, I have tried it couple of different ways and it just feels heavy so I am going to move on to something else.  At first you are swollen and it is uncomfortable at time if you take too big of a bite but you learn to adapt.  This is a tool and it is going to help you get this unwanted/unhealthy weight.

Just know that for two months you will have a lot of adjusting but it is so worth it!  Nerves are okay, just look at the big picture.  I did this for health reasons and even though I have had to go back on my blood pressure medicine, hopefully in the near future I will be able to come back off of it.

Good Luck and see you on the loser's bench.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

healey63
on 1/10/13 10:53 pm

thanks Jackie

VerucaSallt
on 1/10/13 10:14 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

Absolutely not!  I had a pretty decent panic attack when I read on one of the forms "Some people find that only eating a small amount of food to be intolerable".  But seriously... could I have done proper portion control on my own?  No.  Could I have made the changes necessary to eat less, but better food?  No.  Even if I did do all of that, would I be able to maintain that as a permanent lifestyle change?  HELL NO.  If I could, I wouldn't have gotten to 300 pounds for goodness sake.  THAT revelation changed EVERYTHING.  You will be able to eat again.  You will enjoy eating MORE because not only will you slow down and really taste and savor your food, you won't have the guilt that goes along with over eating or eating the wrong thing. 

PrettyEyes_41
on 1/10/13 10:21 pm - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

Yes I had regrets for about the first week or so after the surgery but it passed as I was able to figure out everything and the swelling in my tummy started going down. The increase in self-confidence greatly surpasses the decrease in food amounts. It's not that you won't ever be able to eat again - that's not how it is. It's that as you see your body shrinking and everything else in your life that matters increasing then you make the conscious choice to NOT eat the things that got you to needing surgery in the first place. I'm 7 months post op and could probably eat 4-6oz at a meal right now. I choose NOT to because I feel better eating less than 4 and I'm still in the losing phase and want to be successful. I choose NOT to eat carbs because they make me want more carbs whi*****reases my calorie intake which defeats the whole purpose of this journey. Don't be nervous, realize that this is a choice that has consequences that can make your life so much better than it was before if you let it and you use it as the tool it's meant to be. I, like most everyone else here, wish I had done this sooner!! And I also had your same fears just before surgery, I think most everyone does.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

ravenbrown
on 1/10/13 10:44 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

No, no regrets.  Not ever.  I had a really easy, fast recovery.  I had nearly four weeks of just liquids afterwards, and even that wasn't too bad.  It was slightly frustrating on Thanksgiving and Christmas because I'm so used to gorging myself, but that's not healthy behavior regardless.  I know it will get harder the further out, I know maintenance will be the trust test, but I feel amazing and I'm so happy I did it. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/13 11:06 pm

No regrets.  For better and worse you will be able to eat again.

It was a tough period for me early out from surgery.  The first 6 months you have the most restriction and I did get frustrated sometimes when I didn't get to taste as much of my food as I wanted.  It wasn't hunger, it was more of a dissatisfaction with the lack of sensory input if that makes any sense.

I think I'm in a happy middle place right now.  I have adjusted to not tasting as much and also my restriction is less so I can taste more than I did at the start.

Chances are that your restriction will also wax and wane.  Sometimes you will be hungrier and able to eat more, sometimes it will be less.  

The biggest swing for most women seems to be the menstrual cycle.  I know my period is starting because I suddenly feel full and satisfied after eating again.  It is like someone just flipped a switch..that fast.  Lunch yesterday, still pretty starving; dinner last night, full; evening Greek yogurt, full again.

Think positive, follow your surgeon's plan, and try not to make yourself to crazy over it all.

AdeanaMarie
on 1/10/13 11:29 pm - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

No regrets.  However, looking back, I do wish I had tried going to a nutritionist and a counselor BEFORE having surgery.  Ultimately, I think it needed to be the way I did it.  But sometimes I do wonder if I had sought help from professionals prior to surgery, if I could have avoided surgery.

Also, I wish I would have known how nauseated I would be after surgery.  Not everyone has this issue, but it did last a good three months for me.  The pain level was completely tolerable and in fact I was off pain meds in less than a week, but the nausea was pretty bad.  Not sure what I could have done to prepare for that though.  Plus, it gets better.  And I rarely get nauseated anymore.  Only when I drink water too fast.

The blessings certainly have outweighed any negatives.  But with any surgery, you always risk complications.  Question is, are you willing to risk those complications.  I was so unhealthy being overweight, I was willing to risk it.  It has paid off for me and I am so thankful for the opportunity.  But just remember, it is not a miracle cure.  It is hard work and in the long run, if you do not change your mind set about food and your life habits, the weight can come back on.  However, I have no doubt at this point for me, it is going to stay off the rest of my life.  

Blessings on your journey.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

anninva
on 1/10/13 11:36 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

first of all:  that fear of never being to eat again is SO NORMAL!  at least i can say that i had that exact fear right before surgery.  my FNP at the surgeon's office sent me to a uppsort group where i said it and they all smiled indulgently and assured me that i would be able to eat just fine!  but i really, really understand!  i basically freaked right before surgery, with not only that fear, but fear of how my life would change, loss of the ability to eat willy-nilly, watching ads on TV for Jenny and WW and thinking I should just be able to lose that way and maybe i should still do that.  i CRIED for days.

at just 2 years out (yesterday; check out my post!) i can tell you that i feel totally "normal", don't feel like i'm missing much, can eat small amounts of almost anything (though i definitely try to make good choices!), don't feel deprived.  the only time i fell antsy is when i go out to a restaurant, which as a couple with no kids my partner and i do a fair amount, b/c everything smells sooooo good and i want everything and know i can only have a little!  fortunately i love shrimp ****tail!  or i have leftovers for DAYS!

i've lost 105 lbs.  i feel great!  the first 2 weeks sucks a$$ and the first few months as you get used to things are hard.  but the rewards make it worth it!!!

PM me if you have questions or just want to "chat"!  ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))  making room for you on the losers bench!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Keith L.
on 1/11/13 12:24 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

My only regret is that I waited so long to do it. I am 2 weeks shy of being 4 months post op and I 1 and half pounds away from a 100 lb loss. So it was well worth it.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Terrimarv
on 1/11/13 12:52 am - IL
VSG on 12/04/12

First, to answer your question, no...no regrets, nada, nope.  I did briefly grieve the loss of large amounts of food (basically CRAP food) to soothe my woes, and that started before I even had my surgery.  There are still times when I WANT to overeat, but now I can't.  And that's just fine with me.  In fact, it is exactly what I was looking for.  I have maintained the VSG eating plan for more than 2 months, and it now feels so normal to me that I don't think I could force myself to eat a cookie.  Yesterday I had half an apple, my first fruit in 2 months, and I've never enjoyed any binge as much as I enjoyed that.  I can't say I feel "normal" with food, as I'm very conscious and careful about what I eat, but it is completely different than before in a positive way.  Yes, many parts of the experience have been and will remain challenging, but the reward is so much greater than the sacrifice.  Don't give up on yourself!

Most Active