Anyone have regrets on getting VSG?????

Mom4Jazz
on 1/11/13 4:27 am

First: absolutely no regrets.

You will be able to eat again, but your 'normal' will change. If I get a restaurant entree I eat about 4 meals out of it, for example. I'm a cheap date. The trick is to get from your old normal to your new normal, and there is some mental challenge in the transition.

Two tough spots:

The physical healing. This is major surgery. I didn't have much pain at all, but my body was recovering and I did get tired very easily and lacked energy for about a month.

The mental changes. Most of us have an unhealthy mental relationship with food, and they don't operate on our brains. Some folks have more trouble than others with the adjustment of not using food for comfort and celebration and boredom and...I did work with a counselor who specializes in bariatrics and eating disorders and that helps a lot.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Sasny
on 1/11/13 11:34 am
VSG on 03/20/12
No regrets. Not for even one moment. None. Wish I did it years ago. Quick and painless recovery. And easy transition back to food. And the easiest weight loss ever for the first few months. Like Christmas every morning running to the scales to see the new number. Almost 9 months out now and fighting hard for my last 25 pounds. Make those first months count! But even with struggling for loss now I would do it again in a second. I told my husband before the surgery that I felt like I was making a deal with the devil - giving up a lot for a big reward. But post surgery I told him I was wrong and rather than a deal with the devil - I made a deal with my fairy godmother. Good Luck!!

pineview01
on 1/11/13 12:00 pm, edited 1/12/13 4:14 am - Davison, MI

My DD got her sleeve after seeing my issues with the band over two years ago and the girl looks so good.  My sister decided to forgo the band for the same reasons and was banded a little over a year ago.  She too did fantastic.  Both are so happy the did this.  I will be joining them in less than two weeks.

Have you visited the January surgery forum?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views