Half Marathon coming up! Calling all runners!!

furiosmommy
on 1/11/13 4:42 am, edited 1/11/13 4:56 am - Phoenix, AZ

So I'm not really much of a runner but my goal for 2012 was to train for the Rock 'N Roll half marathon (which is a week away). I'm not sure if I should be changing any of my eating at all pre run... I know I don't need to go crazy and carb load before and the energy gel packs that most runners love make me dump (really bad experience on a 9 mile run). Any suggestions on how to eat leading up to the race and on race day? I'd hate to start having stomach issues a few miles in! Thanks!

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

bigmama3
on 1/11/13 5:01 am

I've run 4 marathons and numerous half-marathons.  I generally do not "carb load"--never worked for me--just ate the same as always; HOWEVER, I make sure not to eat anything with too much salt...you don't want to be thirsty the entire run not to mention bloated.  I also train early in the morning so I don't eat much (if at all) before a race.  If you're used to running with food, then continue; if not, don't chance it.

Best of luck to you!!!!

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

acbbrown
on 1/11/13 5:18 am - Granada Hills, CA

Dont change anything too drastic. Ideally, you'd have a sense of what kind of fuel your body needs from your long runs. Not all gels are created equal - there may be some that dont make you dump. I'd carry some gatorade or something like that  - it will help with fluids and nutrition. I can't imagine doing a 1/2 without gels (I think I had 3 during my 1/2, maybe 4, I can't remember) but perhaps shot blocks or or sport beans might work since it's not straight liquid? 

Of course, any 1/2 marathon in my mind is an excuse to eat whatever the hell I want, so i wont share my pre-race meals :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views