Almost Five Months! (Long, but Pictures!) Edited to Add Rest of Post

TSinNC
on 1/13/13 4:04 am, edited 1/13/13 4:43 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I posted anything, and wanted to check in with my OH family and share how I am doing at almost five months out.

This journey has been a whirlwind.  I can't believe it's been five months since my surgery. In some ways it feels like yesterday that I was here looking for info, asking questions, and meeting people that would become good friends and supporters.  In other ways, though, it feels like I've been living this new life forever, and it feels very natural and comfortable to think before I eat, to love a nice long walk, and to be a more fit person.  Each day brings new amazement, either in the form of scale victories or in so many non-scale victories.  There have been setbacks and obstacles, but nothing that I haven't been able to work through.  I think that so much of this process is helped by having a positive attitude, and I try very hard to maintain that type of outlook.  I rely a lot on my support systems, like my family at MyFitnessPal and support groups, to navigate the waters and to stay upbeat and positive.  I really feel that putting out good energy and support for others comes back to me tenfold.

The setbacks have been mostly health related.  November was a month of weird, painful abdominal issues that culminated in the removal of my gall bladder the first week in December.  That recovery led straight into the flu starting on Christmas Eve, becoming bronchitis, and ultimately becoming pneumonia that I am still working on getting rid of.  My husband and son were ill with bronchitis during this time as well, so that was hard.  We are getting through it, and are all back on an upswing.  The biggest issue for me was losing so much time doing my Couch 2 5K program and working through the guilt of not being able to exercise much while ill.  I will admit that my illness was prolonged by my refusal to slow down and take it easy.  I am working on understanding that sometimes the road to good health means rest. I am slowly starting back up my training, though, and have an event called the Dirty Girl Mud Run coming up in March to train for.

The good things sooooo far outweigh the setbacks, though.  In almost five months, I have lost eighty pounds.  Eighty.  Pounds. I am wearing size XL tops (down from 3X) and 18/20 pants (down from squeezing into 26/28s.)  I went to Target yesterday and was able to buy clearance workout wear and pajamas off the rack.  My bra size has gone from a very tight 46C to a 38B.  I can by bras anywhere!  It's awesome.  I can wear cute undies (my newest are XLs from Target - the Grinch, Snoopy, and my favorite, Wonder Woman.)  I don't buy much, clothing wise, but recently all of my clothes seemed so oversized that I've had to break down and get some basics.  I love consignment shops, and have a great one in my neighborhood.  My favorite find so far was a Benneton blazer that is a size large and only cost me $15.  My hubby bought me a beautiful Burberry scarf (also consignment) to wear with it, and I feel so fancy and girly in them.  I love leggings now, and am amazed at the number of old tee shirts of my hubby's that fit me (he used to be smaller than me.) My labs are all fantastic, and I have no vitamin deficiency issues at all.  My cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar are perfect. I am at the lowest weight I have been since I was probably 20 years old.  And it just keeps coming off.  I am about 35 pounds away from my first goal of 175, and I will re-evaluate what my final goal will look like at that point.  My surgeon is beyond pleased, and has asked me to share my experience and photos on his website.  I have to say, that feels pretty great, too.  I haven't gotten it all together yet, but I promise to share the link when I do.

Some pictures of my progress:

This is me in a Tom Petty concert tee from 2006 that I NEVER GOT TO WEAR because as an XXL, it was tiny on me.  Now it is big enough to wear with leggings.

Front view comparison, start of journey at 290 to now at 210.

Side view comparison.

And yesterday on date night, in my new boots and top.  My calves were always wayyyy too big for cute boots, but my sister got these for me for Chrismakkuh and they fit perfectly.

Speaking of date night, that is one area of life that is sooooo improved now.  My hubby has lost about 30 pounds since my surgery, and we figure it's like losing a whole person between us during grown-up time.  Add the running and yoga and....

This surgery was the best decision I ever made.  Thank you to all the vets that share so generously about their journeys, and a big thank you too to my MFP family.  You are all so wonderful, and I love you!

Good luck everyone!

Wildcat-NYC
on 1/13/13 4:10 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Your waist looks so tiny!!!!  You are doing amazing even through all the set-backs!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
TSinNC
on 1/13/13 4:35 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Thanks, Debie!  The whole second half of my post disappeared somehow, but I fixed it now.

It has been so fun to go on this journey with you.  I can't wait to see what the rest of 2013 brings us!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Keith L.
on 1/13/13 4:12 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Very nice!  I'd follow you down the street!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

TSinNC
on 1/13/13 4:36 am
VSG on 08/16/12

You are too funny!  Thanks!!!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

acbbrown
on 1/13/13 4:26 am - Granada Hills, CA

What an amazing 5 months! Wow - im blown away. Hopefully the rest of the year will treat you better and you wont catch any more cooties!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

TSinNC
on 1/13/13 4:37 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Thanks, Alison!  You are such an inspiration to me, ya sexy, skinny B!

fooh.pngTina

nanarama
on 1/13/13 4:28 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12

You are just so darned cute .... and amazingly successful as well.  Love all of that.  It's been fun watching your progress and seeing your pics on MFP too.  Congratulations, logging buddy!!!

Nancy

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

TSinNC
on 1/13/13 4:37 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Thanks, logging buddy!  You have been so fun to go through all of this with.  I know we'll keep kicking booty!

fooh.pngTina

Italian-Princess
on 1/13/13 4:32 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Tina!!!!  You look wonderful!  I'm so happy for you......you've worked hard and deserve this.  Be proud of yourself, my friend.

Ree

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views