Bummed at My Weight Loss at 7 Weeks Out; Doc Says I Need to Eat More (?!)

Sleeveless
on 1/16/13 9:26 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I am a little over 7 weeks out, and have only lost 24-25 pounds. The weight loss goes back and forth between these two numbers and I fear I'm beginning a stall. I always have lost slowly (and gained slowly), but this is really slow and my doc agrees.

Since I progressed to solid foods, I've usually been eating 400-something calories, 20-something carbs, less than 10 fats, and about 70-something proteins.

Today, my doc and nutritionist both said I need to up my proteins to about 90, even if that means increasing calories up to 600 and carbs up to 40.

Frankly, I'm a bit frightened of eating more, as I feel like I will stop losing weight altogether or move into maintenance. I know logically, that can't be true. But after all my stress dreams of overeating, making the conscious decision to eat more is intimidating. Plus, I thought I was doing so well on my eating plan, and I'm disappointed that I've been wasting the opportunity.

However, I will admit, I've been hungry. Today, I'm adding a third meal focusing on protein with light carbs and calories.

Have any of you upped your protein and calories and found that you lost more, instead of less? Any war stories would be tremendously encouraging! :-)

shrinking_sarah
on 1/16/13 9:31 am, edited 1/16/13 9:32 am - CA

It's my understanding that upping protein does help with loss.  Try it, even if you just add a protein drink or something.  Dr. C just told me today to aim for 100 (eventually, I'm not quite there yet).  Focus on the protein, let the calories fall where they may.

:)

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Sleeveless
on 1/16/13 9:34 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thanks, Sarah!

Adding a protein drink would have been my go-to, but both Dr. C and Gabriella are saying I need to add more solid foods. What do you know, huh? :-)

100 grams of protein? Wow, that's ambitious. I will aim higher too.

shrinking_sarah
on 1/16/13 9:36 am - CA

Greek yogurt w/ protein powder?  Seafood?  Man.  Here I was thinking I was all smart. lol.  Kairk posted a really interesting thread with a discussion of protein and some study results that I found fascinating.  It should be on the 1st or 2nd page right now.

Support group tonight?

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

Sleeveless
on 1/16/13 9:47 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Yes, ma'am! I will look for you to intro myself. :-)

LNC62
on 1/16/13 2:12 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I was at the meeting tonight.  I wish I knew which one you were.  And did I hear Dr. C right that I should up my protein to 110?  I'm still on pureed's that will be impossible without adding another shake. When will I have time to drink it?

Sleeveless
on 1/16/13 4:27 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Oh, wow, I think I was the one sitting next to you! My name is Savvy. Interesting session, eh?

AnnieinIA
on 1/16/13 7:33 pm
This is OT, so forgive me. My granddaughter's name is Savvy....don't hear that a lot.
Sleeveless
on 1/17/13 2:54 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Oh, is it a nickname, short for Savannah or something else?

LNC62
on 1/16/13 11:52 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
Did you have the Fusion bottle?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views