Reflux better or worse after VSG w/ Hiatal Hernia Repair?

HisWill77
on 1/18/13 3:51 am
VSG on 02/06/13

I am wondering if anyone here had a hiatal hernia repaired during their VSG? If so does it seem to have resolved your reflux since surgery? I have had seen 2 surgeons and one says I need RNY becuase of my reflux and the other seems to believe that repairing the hiatal hernia during surgery will resolve my issues. Any input is greatly appreciated.

4seasons
on 1/18/13 4:02 am
VSG on 08/13/12

I never knew that I had a hernia till I was in recovery and was told that they fixed that too.

I did suffer from minor (at least I didn't think it was that bad) heartburn and reflux but never suspected a hernia. I have not had one episode of either since my surgery. I threw my bottle of Tums away.

IF you can, have them both done at the same time. I know many people on this site have had it done at the same time.

Good luck!

"It's not about perfect. It's about effort. And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs." 

HW: 310 ~ SW: 289 ~ GW: 175
Nadurra Deb
on 1/18/13 4:13 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12

I had a hiatal hernia that I didn't even know about. It was repaired during my VSG surgery. Apparently it was pretty substantial. My surgeon said he repaired it and attached my stomach to my diaphragm so I wouldn't happen again. I did have reflux before but it wasn't awful. It was definitely worse when I bend over and moved around now that I look back...so that explains some of it. I have not had any reflux issues since my VSG surgery no matter how I move, but i do take prilosec everyday still preventatively. Not because I had heartburn or reflux but because of acid building up in my stomach that was burning and felt kind of like hunger. I have never heard that RNY would be better for a reflux. I hope that helps.

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

LNC62
on 1/18/13 4:18 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I had reflux before VSG and I suspected I had a hiatal hernia.  It wasn't bad reflux for the most part but it was definitely getting worse.  I had a hiatal hernia repair during surgery and reflux hasn't been an issue since.  Of course, my surgeon put me on prilosec that I think I have to take for a few months.  I think it's to help the stomach heal.

HisWill77
on 1/18/13 5:46 am
VSG on 02/06/13

Thanks everyone so much for sharing! I have a Hiatal Hernia, esophagitis and a schatskys ring, BUT I don't take any meds for them and they are manageable with diet and exercise. Totally torn since one Dr refuses to do VSG with my issues and says RNY will correct it all and the other feels that the VSG + hernia repair will solve it. Anyone else?

MeSkinny8
on 1/18/13 5:59 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I had reflux before VSG and my surgeon insisted on doing RNY.  I refused (tho' I wish I would have researched at the time) the RNY and insisted on VSG.  My surgeon agreed to do the VSG and during surgery he found and repaired a hernia.  Since surgery my reflux is worse.  If I had a chance to do it over again I would attend a couple of support meetings, ask lots of questions and I think I would of agreed to the RNY.  My only fear with the RNY was malabsorbtion.   I hope this helps.

HisWill77
on 1/18/13 6:19 am
VSG on 02/06/13

MeSkinny8, do you take meds for your reflux now? Did you before? How bad was your reflux before surgery? Sorry for all the questions :0) I have asked so many questions and attended a good number of groups and am still so conflicted and confused.

MeSkinny8
on 1/18/13 6:31 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I don't think you can ask too many questions.  I never took meds for reflux (it wasn't that bad) before my VSG surgery.  However, I have tried several reflux meds to no avail and the doctor has me on Protonix 40mg suspension now.  I plan on waiting six months to a year and if the reflux continues while I'm on meds I may consider the RNY.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/18/13 6:00 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I echo what others have said. Seems to be pretty classic, and research confirms it, most of us who have hiatal hernias learn about these after surgery whaen the surgeon tells you he did the sleeve and yhe hernia repair at the same time. I had very occasional, like twice a year, acid reflux, and since surgery had mini reflux once and entirely due to eating some marrow and my tummy didn't like it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

b1751
on 1/18/13 6:31 am

I had the DS..but I have the same sleeve stomach as you so I thought I'd chime in.  I too found out I had the hiatial hernia repair after surgery.  For the first 2 weeks after surgery, I really had no reflux.  It was like a breath of fresh air.  But it was short lived.  I eventually ended up with terrible nausea 24/7 and after a while we found out that 1 prilosec a day wasn't enough.  So now I take priolosec twice a day to control it.

So no...it didn't really help.  But I'd still rather pop those pills and have a fully functioning stomach vs. a pouch.

Lap DS with Dr. Kemmeter 12/17/12

HW: 274.5 -- SW: 266 -- GW: 130?

Most Active