Looking for historical data (Yawn, I know)

HisWill77
on 1/18/13 8:46 am
VSG on 02/06/13

Does anyone know of a study that shows how many reflux patients Preop have reflux post op after hiatal hernia repair?

DebbieRae1313
on 1/18/13 12:46 pm

I do not know of a study. My surgeon who also does alot of research and publish papers in medical journals said reflux varies so much on the individual. I had my VSG on 1/3/13 and had reflux before surgery taking 1 protonix a day and still taking it and have no problems and no throwing up or issues. My sister had her surgery on 12/5/12 with a hernia repair and she takes nothing for reflux. Her surgeon asked her if she had any issues with reflux due to the size of her hernia and she stated no.. I think this area of the surgery is just so hard to pin down in a scientific way.

I was a bit scared because I had read sometimes the surgery makes it worse, but for me just not the case. I am hoping to be off the one protonix because honestly I dont feel I need it anymore.   Good luck with your surgery..

Sarah W.
on 1/18/13 9:31 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
My mom still does. She is non-bariatric patient who went through the hernia repair and still has GERD. Also had her gallbladder removed. So I know you were looking for studies, but that's all I've got.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

Most Active