Depressed

Laci M.
on 1/18/13 5:26 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I'm in a bit of a depression right now. I reached 100 pounds lost this past Monday and no matter what I eat and no matter how much I work out, I am so worried that my weight loss will stop and I'll start gaining. I know I've done really darn well and I am proud, I'm just worried that for some reason, I won't lose any more weight. I know it's a long process, I'm just in a bad place right now. Any suggestions? Advice? Words of encouragement? I need some Sassy Sleever help!!

bigmama3
on 1/18/13 5:30 am

You lost 100 pounds in an extremely short period of time...that's absolutely incredible!!!!  It sounds like you are doing well and know how to work the sleeve.  Just keep doing what you're doing...it's obviously working, and will continue to work if you stick to the program and not eat the wrong foods/overeat.

You can do this..you are on the right path and if you continue you will hit your goal.  Just look forward, not backwards.  Just think of the new wardrobe you will need to buy in a few months for summer.

Best

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/18/13 5:43 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Whoa Laci...sleeve sis! You and I had surgery on the same day and I am down less than half of what you lost in the same time. So you are doing great! Awesome in fact! Fabulous! Insert all other superlatives please!!! What makes you think you won't lose more? You are going to get to goal and you will maintain for life. Just keep telling yourself this and don't listen to that other scared and negative voice. In fact don't even let it speak. Just shush that! You will be at goal in no time!!! Keep doing what you are doing! Coz its working and it will keep working.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/18/13 5:47 am

Here is the thing...everyone pretty much who has a weight problem eats for a reason...usually to find room for all the stress and feelings we don't express...so when you start losing weight...all those emotions, frustrations and fears are exposed...and they reach right up and bite you in the A$$.  That is why people back slide and yo yo diet so much.  It's not so much about the food as it is about the emotions.  So the true challenge is to do what you are doing...vent, express your fears and your concerns, find other ways of dealing with those overwhelming feelings and keep on keeping on.  Continue to come here and get your support, join Ms. Shell's group about what you are eating each day as a means of accountability, attend a support group in your community if one is available and even consider seeing a therapist to help you with the mind body connection.  But, the most important thing to do is to focus on your success, accept your limitations, and know that your fears are completely normal.  You are doing great, that is a huge weight loss in 3 months...wish I could do that...hang in there.

KittyKarin
on 1/18/13 6:20 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

I also struggle with depression and I feel hopeless a lot.  I have been trying to stay positive about everything in my life and the motto I've created for myself is that Worry "Doesn't Solve Anything".  I can sit and fret and cry and freak out about a situation but does that help anything? Nope. And if the thing I am worrying about actually happens and it's horrible... did worrying help at all? Did it take any of the sting away or do anything to help it? Nope. 

Lately when I find myself depressed or upset over something, I give myself a few minutes to freak out, then I talk to myself and tell myself it's not the end of the world.  I keep telling myself that worry won't help and to think of all the positive and great stuff in my life. And you have such a great weight loss so far... this would be the time to start enjoying your efforts.  Find a new exercise class to try, buy a bike and go riding or just find a new trail to walk or jog on.  I am too heavy to be comfortable to try any of those things right now and I can't wait until I am your weight! Don't worry about what is to come, just focus on your success and find fun ways to enjoy your changing body.

Good luck, girl!"

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Laci M.
on 1/18/13 6:21 am
VSG on 10/09/12

All of your replies brought tears to my eyes.  I get the same kind of advice and encouragement here at home but it seems so different coming from others who are sharing my journey...who understand what I'm going through.  And I can't thank you all enough for your words.

I'm registering on Monday for a support group next week on the emotional stress of weight loss after surgery.  So, I'm hoping that helps a little.  I'll be dragging my mom with me...though she LOVES being my biggest supporter, so it's not really "dragging" her!!  

Most days I feel great.  There are just a few moments like this I have and it's all I can do NOT to shut down.  You know?  

It's nice to know that I have a place to vent my fears and frustrations and that I'll be met with open arms and minds.

Thank you all again.  

Latse
on 1/18/13 6:38 am
VSG on 06/18/12

I know where you are at, I've been there and still go there some days.

You have lost an amazing about of weight!!  For me things slowed WAY down after I hit 100lbs lost, I was scared the scale was going to stop moving down too.  I was complaining about the slow weight loss to my surgeon and he reassured me that in no way has my weight loss been slow.  The easy weight is off, the honeymoon is over.  

Now I have to keep working my tool as best I can, eat right, drink my fluids, take my supplements.  I also need to spike up the exercise, the same things that worked when I was 300+lbs don't work for my almost onderland body.  It's a lot easier to move this body around, also a lot easier to dress it kiss

Also to save my own sanity I try not to step on the scale more then twice a week, I got so use to seeing those huge drops that 1-2lb a week seems like I'm failing.  I'm not, I'm still losing, not as fast, but a loss is a loss.

Keep at it and you are doing GREAT!!!!

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

Laci M.
on 1/18/13 7:13 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I decided to stop going to the gym every day and now I take off 2 days...this was because I knew I'd have to up the exercise and if I was already going every day, there was NO way I would be able to do more.  So, I feel pretty good about my exercising though I'd like to find a beginner's class of some sort.

Another thing I have to do is make sure I get ALL my fluids and supplements in.  That's one thing I'm still struggling with.  I'm trying though.

Thank you so much for the encouragement.  You have helped me greatly.

louisamay
on 1/18/13 6:47 am
VSG on 04/27/12

You ask for Sassy? How about Cher? She has a message for you

Now, celebrate what you've done and get ready to rock the world as you keep rockin that sleeve!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Laci M.
on 1/18/13 7:11 am
VSG on 10/09/12

You had both my hubby and me laughing!!  I needed that!!  Thank you!!

Most Active