Cleaning out my Closet

CandieHearts
on 1/23/13 10:48 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/17/12

Let me preface this by saying I am glad I can buy smaller clothes, But I am having a hard time donating my fat girl clothes.

I guess when I was bigger I was so self-conscious so I took great pride finding cute, non-grandma plus clothes that I thought I looked great in.

Now the clothes that gave me confidence when I went out and made me feel pretty, I have to give them up…..

Has anyone else felt like this, like they are losing a friend or something, it’s weird I feel sad doing it.

vogue
on 1/23/13 11:02 pm
VSG on 08/30/12

nope, Im still holding on to a few good pieces... I have packed up some stuff and still cant let it go...  I have some nice high end designer stuff that Id LOVE to see go to a good cause...   

I have lost 1.5 size in my shoe and getting rid of the shoes was even HARDER than the clothes...

its like I need to have a funeral for my clothes....

mary d
on 1/23/13 11:33 pm
mimij
on 1/23/13 11:22 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I totally understand you. There is something very emotional about purging things that and wanting to hang onto things for certain reasons. Lots of emotions there. I have beautiful pieces that are super big on me now. I have given a few things to friends and some things to charity. I started to buy some things in my new sizes at a local consignment shop so I have been selling my best quality big girl clothes there. It has helped me purchase the smaller sizes I need. I have always been a clothes, shoes and purse horse, so you can imagine the stash I have been weeding through. But cleaning out the closets is like cleaning out other parts of my life and I feel good about it when I think of it that way.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

jenlaur1
on 1/23/13 11:23 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

just a suggestion...why don't you have a party?  A clothes/shoes party?  Gather all your family/friends of all sizes together and swap your gently used clothes?  You get to have a good time and letting go of your clothes would feel good because you get to see who you're giving them to...and you get to have 'new' clothes/shoes without having to break the bank.

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

B. Storms
on 1/23/13 11:30 pm - IN

I have a really hard time getting rid of my fat girl clothes. I have always set myself up to fail, it has been one of my struggles and weight loss issues my whole life. I keep thinking "What if" but then I tell myself..... "I am not going to let myself get to that weight again" and I donate them to a church for them to give to someone who needs them. Last year for my birthday I was going to go shopping for smaller clothes. When I started my journey I was In a size 26-28. On my birthday My husband and BFF was surprising me with a group getaway, so he sent me shopping (I dread shopping for myself) But I was soooo excited when I tried on an 18 and they fit!!!! WOOHOOOO and I finally felt like they looked so cute in them. About a month later they were too big for me to the point when I went to the restroom I didn't even have to unbutton them. I was so disappointed that I spent $35 on a pair of jeans that I wore maybe 4 times. Then my husband said.... "why in the world would you be upset? this is a great thing!" and I got rid of them :) I know I just told you a really long story for a really small point, but as much as it bothers me sometimes it is a great accomplishment!

Congrats to you on your journey so far :)

*Belinda*
Life isn't tied with a bow.... but it is still a gift.
Starting my journey and I am on the path to be who I was meant to be.

mary d
on 1/23/13 11:34 pm

I have heard of this phenomenon.  I took great pleasure in getting rid of fat clothes.  I, like you, always tried to look my best and dressed fashionably, even though it wasn't always easy.  I donated a lot to charity, some of the nicer things, I gave to people I knew who needed and appreciated them.

I enjoyed shopping for new things even more, even if it was from the back of my closet.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

vogue
on 1/23/13 11:43 pm, edited 1/23/13 11:43 pm
VSG on 08/30/12

its not a matter of just getting rid of my fat clothes... Im glad to see them go...  I have a HARD time giving up $400+ suits, no matter if size 2 or size 22....  I have clothes with tags on them, as well as shoes & purses I never used...   THATs why its hard... 

Low & behold, I have found someplace to give it to... they are in the process of moving & will be ready to receive whatever I have to offer as of Feb 1

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/24/13 12:29 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I have found that hand selecting someone to gift them to works better then randomly giving things away. I tend to have a few people over and hand everyone something to try and 9/10 times I am bang on. I also am one who chose my clothing with care and have fabulous clothing...

The last person I had over 1 on 1 gave me 40$ which I put in my box where I keep my gift cards for clothing stores... Sort of a "shopping fund" that has gotten started.

It is hard... But I have been a lot happier to see things go to a good home and someone who can genuinely enjoy having something nice to wear.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

katie L.
on 1/24/13 2:45 am

What about sell them to some of us who are traveling the weight loss road behind you? I know I would be glad to buy some items and sell some to other sleevers. clothes are very costly. I would love some nice things to ware. I was a 30 w now I am a 26-24 w. I have not had surgery yet, i only have a few things to ware. The consignment shops here don't have much in the size i need.

Most Active