The leg cramps are....

seekingslimness
on 1/24/13 6:57 am
VSG on 02/24/12

After horrible leg aching and cramps for the last two to three weeks, I had some lab work done and the culprit is a severe vitamin D definciancy, I had one before surgery too so now prescription vitamin D for me.

NIKKI

Nancybefree
on 1/24/13 8:32 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering from this.  Leg cramps are terrible!  Good that you got some answers and that you have a strategy for improvement.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

thinnersinner
on 1/24/13 9:15 am

I was just googling this today.  My legs feel like they are on the verge of cramping at any minute when I go walking.  I'm usually deficient in Vit D, but I wonder if the issue isn't related to potassium too.  I'm taking 4000 iu in liquid form (which is just nasty!) Potassium has always helped them in the past.  I might just add 1/2 a banana to my protein shake in the morning.

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/24/13 10:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Better than a banana for potassium and way less calories is coconut/palm sugar. A teaspoonful has 15 calories and 1000 mg of potassium. You can also use "NoSalt" which is potassium chloride, but you need to measure carefully. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Also watch your fluids. Being a bit dehydrated can also cause painful cramping.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

thinnersinner
on 1/24/13 11:03 am
Coconut palm sugar! I didn't know about that! What a great idea...better to save on the calories. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/24/13 11:29 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You're very welcome.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/24/13 2:18 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Where do you get the coconut palm sugar, Kelly-Anne? I have been using the Lo Salt and my potassium is great but always good to get other options.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/24/13 9:10 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My most convenient place is my local SaveOn store or Bulk Barn, but as it's become more popular I noticed Costco carries it in a large bag and other grocery stores now have it. It's generally in the organic part of the baking section.

If you need to order it online luckyvitamin.com carries it. Just do a search for sugar on their site and a whole bunch of options for it will pop up. It averages $5-6 a pound, but since I only use 1-2 teaspoonfuls a day I'm ok with that.

stillalb
on 1/24/13 11:01 am

I can sympathize. I have restless leg syndrome periodically. It's always a reminder to me that I need to start taking Iron supplements again. The interesting thing is that my iron level is 'normal' on bloodwork but it is at the lower end of normal. Just something for others to take into account. 24 hours after starting my iron supplements and the problem is gone. Thank goodness.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

tanyagoodspeed
on 2/11/13 1:28 pm - GA
RNY on 12/05/12

I am so glad so many people are responding to this quetion! I got on here to google because I have been having cramps for about a week now. Even when it is not a full blown cramp there is a generalized achiness like a cramp is gonna come on any minute now!   I was already planning to call my doc but I was afraid maybe I was over- reacting, you know laming the surgery for every little thing that is wrong. I was leaning towards low potassium but maybe it is dehydration. I already got dehydrated once and had to have two bags of fluid. I am about nine weeks out, my surgery was Dec 5. I drink 1L of milk a day and sip water as much as possible the rest of the time, but it is h a to get fluid in when I am working. I am a nurse and not allowed to have food or drinks on the flooreven at my desk due to infection control regulations. But after hearing what everyone has said, I wont feel so silly when I call the doc...most likely is a surgery related issue, fluid, potassium, or some other vitamin deficiency...probably gonna have to go get bloodwork, but it will be worth it to get rid of this pain!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views