Learning something new, but having issues with this embarassing problem

Auveca
on 2/2/13 4:47 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

As I am losing and getting more active, I have joined a few classes at the gym that I love.  BUT, after 3 children and being obese all of my adult life, I cant do a jumping jack without peeing myself.  This is really bad, and I feel like a frikin commercial.  I refuse to wear a diaper to the gym...any suggestions?  Also, really making me feel less that sexy...

jenlaur1
on 2/2/13 4:51 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I don't know how long you have to do them for them to get your pelvic muscles in shape..but keegle exercise.  Squeeze your pelvic muscles together for several seconds..let go..do that several times a day.  That should work.  If it doesn't..you may need to see your doctor who can help you from there.  Sometimes those muscles need medical intervention to work better.  Hopefully, not for you.  :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/2/13 5:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Kegals are helpful, but squats are even more helpful. Also, weird as it sounds, drinking more water (milk, tea, coffee, whatever) helps because it dilutes your urine. Concentrated urine irritates your bladder which adds to incontinence issues.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

MomofMarch
on 2/2/13 5:37 am - GA

I agree with the others. Keigles (Or however it's spelled lol) and squats help out a TON. I still use a lot of panty liners just in case. Childbirth was the major cause of my issues. I can't cough or sneeze without doing it. I like to call it "snissing". haha

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

jenlaur1
on 2/2/13 5:52 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

47 years old and have had three children..so yeah..when I sneeze it's a huge issue.  lol..you should have seen me a couple of days ago.  I was in the midst of this bad cold and sneezing like there was no tomorrow.  Lets just say I had to change my undies a couple of times.  I don't like to wear panty liners; was getting pretty tempted to do so though. LOL  More often than not I forget to do them, but when I do, I'll be using the computer or watching tv...do 10 of them at a time.  A couple times a day.

Oh..and well..you can wear a panty liner while you're at the gym..it shouldn't be noticeable.

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Auveca
on 2/2/13 8:36 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

Thanks ladies!  I do kegels like hell but no go. Or rather, go easily.  I will add squats and pantiliners, and let you know!  Snissing...love it!!!

hollykim
on 2/2/13 8:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

there is medication for this issue,works great. I used it before i had surgery and no longer need it after surgery, You should be able to get a rx from your PCP. good luck

JMack
on 2/2/13 12:46 pm - UT

Hi,

I'm a brand new member, but I read your post and wanted to tell you there are a few options-but you need to see a urologist.  This is a REALLY common issue for women.  The kegels do help, and docs want you to do them, but they do different things to help in the meantime. (While building those muscles up).  I stopped exercising because it was so bad for me :(  But I saw the doc, and all better!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/2/13 3:50 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Stress incontinence...yeah...weight loss has helped and also peeing often and emptying that bladder helps too. But when I cough or sneeze....nothing works like a pad or liner. A friend of mine who is not overweight had surgery to correct the problem. Apparently it worked but I don't know the details of what they do. Snissing.....great word!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active