The Math is a Lie

Latse
on 2/14/13 7:22 am
VSG on 06/18/12

Quote from Mayo Clinic Website:

"Your weight is a balancing act, but the equation is simple: If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your typical diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories). It isn't quite this simple, however, and you usually lose a combination of fat, lean tissue and water. Also, because of changes that occur in the body as a result of weight loss, you may need to decrease calories further to continue weight loss."

Ok, with that as a foundation for my argument I would like to say that with the help of MFP and FitBit tracking my intake and movements in the last 30 days I have had over a 50,000 calorie deficiency.  Using the math of 3500 calories equal 1 lb I should have lost about 14 pounds.   Nope try more like 4lbs, udder frustration has set in.  I'm glad I have lost the 4 lbs but feel cheated that all the hard work didn't add up to 14 lbs.  Now the last part of the quote states that further decreases in calories might be needed for continued weight loss.  SERIOUSLY!!!  I don't think below 600 calories for any extended period of time is going to do anything but put me in the ER.

Now with that off my chest I will say, the next time I see/hear someone spouting the 3500 calories equals 1 lbs I'm calling BS

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

Pollyanna16
on 2/14/13 7:31 am
VSG on 12/28/12

agreed,and  that is what Dr Atkins said in his book years ago.

Jls8877
on 2/14/13 7:45 am
Totally agree. Mfp has me at my goal in 5 weeks if I continue my pattern BUT there is no way this will happen. Total BS. There is so much more involved to this process than math.
Jackie T.
on 2/14/13 7:50 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You are correct.  It is a lot more complicated.  A person who eats 1200 calories of protein is not going to lose the same amount as someone who eats 1200 calories of sugar or carbs.

I will stick with my 600-800 calories a day and 60+ grams of protein and stay away from as many carbs as possible.  It is working so far so I am not going to try and fix what isn't broken right now. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

PoohHag
on 2/14/13 9:50 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

Agreed.  The math is a lie.

smbergie200
on 2/14/13 12:47 pm, edited 2/14/13 12:47 pm - Naples, FL

The body is very complex and calorie in calorie out theory is turning out to be nothing but a myth. Continue to be patient and follow plan and the body will let go of the weight. Continue to remember you didn't get obese over night and your not gonna get skinny over night. kiss

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

mary d
on 2/14/13 7:24 pm

It is a good thing it is a lie, or we all would have probably weight 1000 lbs pre op!!  It's not math, it's biology!

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

hollykim
on 2/15/13 5:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM Pacific Time, Latse wrote:

"Your weight is a balancing act, but the equation is simple: If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in to lose 1 pound. So if you cut 500 calories from your typical diet each day, you'd lose about 1 pound a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3,500 calories). It isn't quite this simple, however, and you usually lose a combination of fat, lean tissue and water. Also, because of changes that occur in the body as a result of weight loss, you may need to decrease calories further to continue weight loss."

Ok, with that as a foundation for my argument I would like to say that with the help of MFP and FitBit tracking my intake and movements in the last 30 days I have had over a 50,000 calorie deficiency.  Using the math of 3500 calories equal 1 lb I should have lost about 14 pounds.   Nope try more like 4lbs, udder frustration has set in.  I'm glad I have lost the 4 lbs but feel cheated that all the hard work didn't add up to 14 lbs.  Now the last part of the quote states that further decreases in calories might be needed for continued weight loss.  SERIOUSLY!!!  I don't think below 600 calories for any extended period of time is going to do anything but put me in the ER.

Now with that off my chest I will say, the next time I see/hear someone spouting the 3500 calories equals 1 lbs I'm calling BS

I get everything you are saying but if you think the rest of the article is on base,why not the less than 600 cal part making you lose weight? why would you end up in the ER? that might be exactly what you need to force your body to burn stored fat. If we are all different,and we are,it is entirely possible that you might have to eat 450 cals a day to force your body to lose.

This is actually what I am finding out. I have to eat ONLY dense protein,eggs and healthy fat to force my body to burn what I have stored all these years. My body,apparently is very protective and attached to my excess weight and DOES NOT want to let go ,no way ,no how.

I

realize you might have been venting and might have been posting totally facetiously,but it IS food for thought. GL

Escape_Pod
on 2/15/13 9:10 am
On February 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
On February 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM Pacific Time, Latse wrote:

I get everything you are saying but if you think the rest of the article is on base,why not the less than 600 cal part making you lose weight? why would you end up in the ER? that might be exactly what you need to force your body to burn stored fat. If we are all different,and we are,it is entirely possible that you might have to eat 450 cals a day to force your body to lose.

This is actually what I am finding out. I have to eat ONLY dense protein,eggs and healthy fat to force my body to burn what I have stored all these years. My body,apparently is very protective and attached to my excess weight and DOES NOT want to let go ,no way ,no how.

I

realize you might have been venting and might have been posting totally facetiously,but it IS food for thought. GL

So, if you're eating under 600 calories to lose the weight, what do you think will happen when you start eating 600 calories or more again? Or is she supposed to eat 450 calories a day for the rest of her life as a maintenance level?!?

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

hollykim
on 2/15/13 12:00 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I think when one gets all the weight off they want to lose,they will have to gradually start adding calories back till they get to the maintenance calories that let them maintain. it is the same principle as ny other amount of calories and maintenance. Whether it is 450 cals or 800 ,each of us has to find out how many additional calories will allow us to maintain and not lose or gain.

I obviously don't have a clue how many calories it will take her to maintain,do you?

Most Active