Just curious?!

Lindsey72386
on 2/19/13 2:42 am - IN

Has anyone had pop after surgery? 6 months out a year out or whenever?

Also is drinkin from a straw never allowed again?

jobyro
on 2/19/13 2:46 am

Hi,

I have surgery this Thursday, so I don't have personal experience.  Last night at my nutrition class they said if you really want pop it's best to let it set out for a few hours and get flat then drink it.  They also said it's not recommended to drink from a straw since you swallow air.

LNC62
on 2/19/13 2:48 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
I never stopped drinking from a straw. It's not even an issue. As to soda, it is a no no because it can stretch your tummy or cause pain. I was addicted to it right up to surgery. After surgery I haven't craved or wanted it at all. Now I drink water or crystal light.

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/13 2:52 am, edited 2/19/13 2:52 am

The best answer is to never drink it again.

The better answer is to drink it very rarely ( I do sometimes have a diet coke with rum as my drink, but this is very, very rare).  I usually let it stand for a bit and I did not drink any at all for the first two years.  Now, it might be once or twice every few months.  I should also add that soda has never been my thing, so I am not triggered to drink more.  I actually don't even like it very much, and would rather have a good glass of wine.  :)

Straws are one of those things that are really individual.  For some of us, we take in more air, for others, they actually help.  I use a straw all the time and see no difference either way.   My doctors mostly just shrugs when you bring up the straw thing.  I translate that to "whatever works category".

Lauren Vento
on 2/19/13 3:06 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

I'm 5 months out and one day I was extremely thirsty while in the car.  The only drink available was my husbands soda, so I took a sip.  It made me feel very gassy and uncomfortable.  I stay away from anything carbonated because the bubbles don't feel good, even if its just a sip.

As for straws, I use them often.  But you have to go slow and hold the liquid in your mouth before swallowing so you don't swallow air.

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Nancybefree
on 2/19/13 4:02 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I won't touch pop, which in my local vernacular is soda.  :)  My instructions were to give it up postop, so I gave it up immediately preop and have never missed it.  I really don't see any reason to resume drinking it. 

I was told not to use straws postop, but apparently lots of people do use them with no ill effects. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

LeighAnne89
on 2/19/13 4:33 am - KY

I am 6 months out I have tried a sip of pop 1 time and could not stand the taste at all it was horrible I didn't take a big enough drink to have any of the pain and discomfort that I have heard about others having but the taste was enough to keep me away. As for a straw I only use one when I drink protein shakes but I don't have any problem with it.

shajoh
on 2/19/13 4:42 am - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12
Soda's or what ever you call them ( in TX we call them cokes whatever brand are still cokes) are what got some of in the condition where we needed WLS. I would not recommend drinking them. I know I won't drink them. No reason to. I don't want to gain the weight back. What concerns me is your asking this questions. Sounds like you are contemplating doing this. DON'T!!! I wouldn't risk it. You certainly don't want that craving to come back.

Sharla

mauigirl2
on 2/19/13 4:42 am - kihei, HI

I will never ever have soda again.  I loved Coke, and drank alot of it.  total sugar addiction.  So many calories when we have so few to consume in a day.  Even in maintenance we will always have to watch what we eat.  Don't even go there!

rhearob
on 2/19/13 4:47 am - TN

I haven't had pop since my surgery.  Don't plan to.  Its not just the carbonation stretching the sleeve thing, but it has proven to be a trigger for me in the past.  Also, the caffeine in the drink can trigger cravings and appetite in some people.  Best to not poke the monkey too hard if you can avoid it.

As for straws - I have sucked on a straw every day for at least the last year.  My drinking glass is a 32 oz sports bottle with a built in straw.  Its how I both measure my liquids and get them in.  I haven't had any problem with it as I don't seem to swallow a lot of air with it.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views