I'm having a hard time getting on track...

foolishgrrl_1
on 2/21/13 9:10 am
VSG on 03/11/13

My surgery is scheduled for March 11.  The only thing left for me to do is get my chest xray and EKG.  My surgeon only requires a 1 day liquid diet, but I have been trying to substitute 1 protein drink a day instead of skipping breakfast and then being ravenous in the evening.  I haven't been doing very good. 

For those of you who are on a liquid diet for a week or two, how do you get started/handle it?  I don't think I'll have a problem following doctor's orders after surgery- I have the mindset for it.  But I just can't seem to get started and stick with it pre-op.  I've done it before, so I don't know what is holding me back.

I think I just needed to get this off my chest, I'm in worry mode.

Keith L.
on 2/21/13 9:21 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
It's much harder pre-op and you have the safety net of only having a 1 day liquid diet. Mine was 2 weeks. The first 3 days were really tough but after that it became the new norm. There are a couple good reasons to do it for 2 weeks and you should seriously think about doing it. First it shrinks your liver which in turn significantly reduces the risk of complications. Second it loads your body up with proteins and amino acids and revs up the healing process. When I left the hospital 2 days post op my wounds were completely sealed on their own. I left without bandages. I was back to work 4 days post op. it is worth doing if you can make yourself do it.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

foolishgrrl_1
on 2/21/13 10:01 am
VSG on 03/11/13

The reasons you mentioned are exactly why I want to do the 2 weeks.  I think I'm going to have to purge the house of any triggers.  When you were on your liquid diet, what did your average day look like?

Keith L.
on 2/21/13 10:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Breakfast was fat free free yogurt and later I switched to fat free/sugar free. Lunch was protein shake. Dinner was Cottage Cheese. I just went back into my old emails here is what I had for my pre-op diet. It was tough, but well worth it. You can do it, just put your mind to it. Removing the triggers, that's up to you, personally I say don't do it, now, later and the rest of your life you will be faced with them, it is up to you to avoid them or ignore them, no time like the present to get started. That's just my 2 cents worth. You need to do what makes you successful and if removing temptation works for you then absolutely do it.

IMPORTANT ... PRE/OP, LIVER SHRINKING DIET   The following is your pre/op diet.     Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner  ... should be low calorie protein shakes or non fat yogurt or cottage cheese   The rest of the day (or if you are still hungry at meal time), you can have clear liquids.   You should drink 8 glasses of water or more a day.   Clear Liquids are beef and chicken broth, apple, cranberry and grape juice, Skim Milk and Sugar Free Jello.   This diet will reduce the risk of complications during surgery by shrinking the size of your liver.

foolishgrrl_1
on 2/21/13 10:33 am
VSG on 03/11/13

THank you!  I have researched and researched, my brain knows what I need to do.  Now I just need to execute on it.  I appreciate the encouragement, I suppose there are sometimes when we need cheerleaders to help us along. 

Keith L.
on 2/21/13 10:44 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Absolutely and this forum is full of them.

Most Active