My 5 Year Anniversary was yesterday and I feel......

-baby-fat-
on 2/21/13 9:34 pm, edited 2/21/13 9:53 pm - Gatineau, Canada

GREAT!  :-)

I'm so thankful to have been able to have this surgery.  It has changed my life for the better in so many ways.  I've learned a great deal about myself and have changed the bad and kept the good.

I'm still doing things and trying things that I never had the confidence to do before. 

The excessive sweating and the constant worry if a chair will hold my weight and many other unpleasant things are a distant memory now.

I'm still married to my wonderful husband who has stayed with me happily through thick and thin.  We just mesh well together, we're both so compatible. 

I did have some trouble at the beginning, I can't lie.  For some reason, I couldn't swallow properly.  I don't know if my esophagus was swollen or what, but it got to the point where I couldn't even swallow my saliva.  I ended up in the hospital tied to an IV overnight, then went for an upper endoscopy (which was terrifying to me).  They didn't find anything really wrong, just a tiny hernia.  They gave me prevacid, which I took for a little bit, until the problem resolved itself.  Every now and then if I'm under particular stress, my swallowing issues will act up.  That is really my only complaint about this surgery. 

Everything was a matter of re-learning how to eat and drink.  For me the drinking part was the hardest to deal with because when I get thirsty, I need to guzzle my water down fast.  Once I had the surgery, you can no longer do that.  It's little sip by little sip.

Being 5 years out, I really have to watch my food intake.  It's easy to gain weight back, and...*cough cough*... I have.  I've gained about 20 pounds back and I'm working on getting rid of it.  The great thing about this surgery though is that when you work with it, it does its job.  For me, the real problem is that damn Pepsi.  Just that alone, if I cut that out, I would drop the weight so fast.  But it's oh so hard!  lol  Pepsi is addictive!!! 

Anyway, I am so grateful to be where I am today.  I'm grateful for this surgery, teaching me the right way to eat, in a gentle way.  I didn't want anything too drastic and scary.  The VSG was the right way to go for me, and I'm forever thankful.

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/13 9:58 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Congratulations on 5 years sleeved! Your story sounds really great. Thank you so much for checking back in here. It means a lot to everyone to have vets come and let us know how they are doing. Girl you know you can cut out that Pepsi! LOL! Let that be your belated new year's resolution or something.

-baby-fat-
on 2/21/13 10:10 pm - Gatineau, Canada

Thanks Curiouskat, and congratulations on your maintenance!  :-) 

Yes, that Pepsi definitely needs to GO!!!  I can do it!  :-)

Thanks for your support.

Julie

mildollarsmile
on 2/21/13 10:39 pm - SE, TX
VSG on 03/11/13

That is so awesome being 5 years out and still doing well...Yeah any sodas will make you gain and you'd lose it fast when you get off of them. You can do it. You have come a long way. I am so glad you posted. I haven't had my sleeve yet my date isn't till March 11th. but I love reading all these threads and everyone's individual success and setbacks. You will get that 20 off in no time!

Mel

Melanie -- HW:320 SW:300 CW:277.2 GW:150 

-baby-fat-
on 2/21/13 11:17 pm - Gatineau, Canada

Thanks Mel.  :-)

Good luck to you on March 11th.  :-)  You will do fantastically. The surgery itself is very easy.  (it was for me anyway)  I was up and walking a few hours after the fact, and I never needed pain medicine.  All went so smoothly and it most likely will for you too.

I'll be thinking of you on your big day!  Have fun with it all, your new life is just beginning.  :-)

Julie

gorditabonita
on 2/21/13 11:15 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary!!!!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

-baby-fat-
on 2/21/13 11:37 pm - Gatineau, Canada

Thank you very much.  :-)

Married2005
on 2/22/13 12:18 am - NJ

Congratulations 5yrs out!  I have 2 questions - how much did you loose and how much have you kept off?  I just got my surgery date - April 2nd and I am so ready to change my life!

-baby-fat-
on 2/22/13 12:30 am - Gatineau, Canada

Thank you very much!  :-)

Good luck to you on April 2nd.  Get ready for a marvelous roller coaster ride!  hehe  Your new life is just about to begin.  :-)

I lost a total of 118 pounds, but I've gained 20 back over the years, so now in total I lost 98 pounds.  I was at goal and happy with my weight after the 118 lb loss.  I will get it back down again, I just have to be stricter with myself.  No more pepsi.  :-)

Julie

Most Active