YOU are SO much more than your weight or clothing size.....

christinahelena
on 2/23/13 7:32 pm, edited 2/23/13 7:36 pm - CA

To my dear fellow travelers on this journey ...

I went to the funeral of a friend today. Died suddenly from complications of undiagnosed strep, at age 61.

She was an incredible living, caring woman who'd been a single mom for 35 years, raised 3 kids and worked passionately in the field of adult education and with adults with disabilities. She founded programs and sites to serve, when funding collapsed she charted a new course and found another way to help and serve. She as a teacher, a boss, a mentor, a friend to all she met.

She was remembered today as a fiercely protective mother, who advocated for the needs of two hearing impaired children, a hard dedicated worker and forward thinking trail blazer, a loyal and thoughtful friend, a woman who had an open door policy and helped others and did not discriminate but accepted all creeds, races, sexual orientations... A woman who embrace people and their differences, often when they were at their most troubled. She was remembered as a great mom, and eulogized by two grand daughters in the sweetest most heartbreaking speeches, one from a 10 year old!

She was a hip grandma, who talked about bands and shared music and laughter and acceptance wherever she went!

She also happened to weigh 300 pounds and was considering vsg but trying medifast first.

The funeral was packed with people who wanted to share stories of how many lives she touched...she was remembered for her mind and mostly her heart!

Noone  in the room cared at all about the one thing that she held as her failure, her weakness!

I sat in self reflection, about how I've let my weight get in my way of doing, being, accomplishing. Has it been my excuse, my Way out ? oHave I been allowing it from keeping me from reaching my potential? 

Surely  my weight loss has freed me from stigma, i feel the difference every day ...but none more apparent to me than the stigma I cast upon myself! 

Please ... Recognize, here, right now that YOU too are so much more than your weight or size! You are a beautiful, unique gift on this earth from God, with a purpose, with a passion.. Don't let you hold you back from being that person, that friend or partner or grandparent!  I felt a little shame as I sat in a church and reflected on my years of self absorption with the issue of my weight, my obsessing, my lack of reaching potential that I have because if my own self imposed prison of self doubt.

Today I was inspired, to really try go become the best version of myself, and to let what I weigh and wear really become the least important part of who I am on this earth... To accomplish my goals there, but to keep it in perspective of the least important part of a life well lived! 

Someday, I could only hope to be eulogized with  such love and clarity over my value...

We all have that...right now, no matter what you weigh!

It should be a no brainer, but if you're at all like me, it's been forgotten!

In love,

Christina

acbbrown
on 2/23/13 7:59 pm - Granada Hills, CA

What a wonderful post - thank for sharing. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

christinahelena
on 2/24/13 12:48 am - CA

Thank you :)

ParisGirl
on 2/23/13 8:14 pm
VSG on 04/25/13
This is beautiful. I'm moved to tears. I'm saving this post.

christinahelena
on 2/24/13 12:51 am - CA

Awww, thanks! It was a profound experience and an honor to get to see what she meant to so many, really.

mary d
on 2/23/13 9:07 pm

Your friend truly was an exceptional person.  I am sorry for her loss to all of her loved ones.

I loved your post.  I think because we have been through so mu*****luding at least one surgery, to get a handle on our health and weight, it becomes an issue that we focus on at the detriment to other aspects of our lives.

I don't want to be that person who thinks of nothing but the outward appearance, that will fade no matter what.  We will go from youth and beauty to old, frail and wrinkles if we live that long.  The inner beauty is the lasting gift that we leave behind to our families and loved ones.

We have to remember that the two are not exclusive of each other and so we must give the time and effort to all of ourselves to make us glow in everything about us.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

christinahelena
on 2/24/13 1:21 am, edited 2/24/13 1:41 am - CA

Yes! I thinkyou're right, it can become obsessive, but I'm referring to the 25 years I'm obsessed about my weight as a prep! Maybe if I'd spent some more time working on other things....but I truly believe this surgery is a way to break free, to finally feel control and balance, and for me for sure, I way back to health for sure. So I don't mean to minimize this journey here...it is central to my fixing other areas that needed fixing! 

LI just know that in some cases I've dropped out of areas of life, stayed away even from friends and family because of my shame over my weight... I felt disgusting...like I wanted to hide.

even the not being in pictures, the people she left behind are so grateful for those pictures !

I will continue to work on my weight because of how it's impacted so many areas of my life...but I let it ! That's my point...I decided I wasn't worthy, I cut myself off, I dropped out of the race in areas...

what she was remembered most for was her time, her kindness, her being there,

land if we walk around feeling like we have to apologize for our weight...what are we missing? Where are we dropping out of participating in this incredible life?

dont wait until you're a size, at goal, a post op....

see your intrinsic value right now and every day...because I've spent far too many days not seeing it in myself!

thats all...

sleevegirl
on 2/23/13 9:46 pm - Austin, TX

Thank you for sharing. We get so wrapped up in that number on the scale sometimes. You are absolutely correct.

One of the things I work on in therapy is truly loving myself and still being who I am. For better. Or worse. LOL

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

christinahelena
on 2/24/13 1:24 am - CA

Good for you! You've done such an amazing job! That is the key for most of us...self love and  allowing ourselves to be as imperfect as we accept from so many others!

hugs

michieluvsu
on 2/23/13 9:46 pm - WA

Wow, thanks so much for sharing. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Blessings to you as you grieve her loss~

Hugs, 

Michele

Most Active