Protein Shake Question

Sincereone72
on 2/24/13 9:53 am, edited 2/24/13 10:03 am - OH

Have anyone tried Jillian Michaels french vanilla shake.  If so, how did you like it?

juddfan1974
on 2/24/13 10:02 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

I haven't tried it, but in my opinion the carbs and calories are too high for the amount of protein you get.  With this shake you would be getting only 16g of protein, but 180 calories and 27 carbs.  I always drink the Premier Protein Shakes.  You get 30g of protein with only 160 calories and 5 g carbs.

Sincereone72
on 2/24/13 10:17 am - OH

How the taste?  I have not had too great of experience with protein shakes.  I will purchase them and don't like the taste.  I'm trying to do the 5 day plan to get back on losing weight.  I'm afraid to try shakes not because of the taste.

juddfan1974
on 2/24/13 10:33 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

They come in three flavors...chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.  I like both the chocolate and vanilla in fact I almost think of them as a treat, but keep in mind these are not snacks they are meal replacements.  I have not tried the strawberry.  They are a little thicker than milk...some people have said they are too thick, but I don't think so.  I think they keep me feeling full longer because they are a little on the thick side.  It could be my imagination but the vanilla seems to be slightly thinner than the chocolate.

Marioksig
on 2/25/13 12:09 am - Santa Clara, CA

They also have a banana option that only has 1G Carb !

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

Calking
on 2/24/13 10:17 am
VSG on 05/31/12

If the previous post is right in what the calories and such are then no ... absolutely do not use these. 

When looking for a protein mix I will share with you what my nutritionist shared with me ... 4 criteria in choosing.

1) Whey Protein (Isolates are much better than blends or concentrates)

2) 5g or less fat

3) 5g or less carbs

4) about 24g protein per serving

My favorite brand is the About Time as it is 100% all natural with 4 ingredients and is fairly inexpensive.

1) 100% Whey Protein Isolate

2) Stevia

3) Xanthan Gum (thickener)

4) Natural Flavors

Flavors are a bit bland so it doesn't make too much difference which flavor you choose.  Add SF syrups or fruits or unsweetened cocoa powder for additional flavoring.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

busboss1
on 2/24/13 11:37 am
VSG on 12/18/12

I like the Syntrax Matrix shakes. Mixed with skim milk, they are great and low in fat and carbs. You can get online at Netrition.com or Bariatric Pantry and order a sample pack to see what you like. That's what I did. I'm loving the mint cookie one right now. They have all kinds of flavors and so far all have been tasty. I too have used the Premier ready to drink shakes. I also ordered some PB2 and mix that with the chocolate shakes for a chocolate peanut butter taste and it gives you a bit more protein as well.

Good luck.

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

Most Active