Missing fruit and veggies

SuzyNZ
on 2/26/13 2:48 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I ate a lot of vegetarian before surgery (but way too much pasta, rice etc) and I missed vegetables terribly. I don't drink protein shakes, so I literally do eat some form of meat all the time to get my protein in. At 5 & 1/2 months out, I can still only do about 50-60 grams of meat and Im stuffed, so rarely have room for veggies.

So from 2 months out, I have 1-2 meals a week that are all veggie to enable me to have some balance in my diet. I simply feel like crap if all I eat all week is meat/eggs/cheese and for me, that's not acceptable. I need balance and that includes meat, veggies, fruit, salads etc. I just make it all work within my calories (approx 500-600 per day)

This approach was completely blessed by my NUT, my nutrient levels at 3 and 6 months were perfect and doesn't seem to have effected my weight loss at all.

So talk to your NUT and see what they say about the odd vegetable based meal for you.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

joannalu_1970
on 2/27/13 2:17 am - CA
VSG on 01/29/13

Thanks for the post, Suzy!  I'm always happy to see posts about a more balanced approach to this, not the all meat all the time mentality. 

angry

AnnieinIA
on 2/26/13 6:52 pm
I SO, So appreciate this thread and the various comments. I spent the past few days doing a juice and protein experiment for the exact reasons you mention. I know my body wants and needs the nutrients veggies provide ( fruit too, but I am waiting until maintenance for fruit - not because I believe fruit makes you fat, but because I am concerned about triggering a desire for sweets). Nutrients from food are totally different than nutrients from supplements, according to research I trust.

That said, all these other things come into play - such as needing to keep protein up/ calories and food volume down. This is reality and can't be ignored without paying a hefty price I am 5 months post op and am going to look for any way I can to increase my veggies while also getting my other goals met.

Smiles, Annie
joannalu_1970
on 2/27/13 2:21 am - CA
VSG on 01/29/13

Thank you Annie!!  Us veggie lovers have to stick together!  I swear, I cannot wait until I can enjoy a nice, cold, piece of fruit on a hot day.  I dream of oranges and watermelon!  One day.......   

AnnieinIA
on 2/27/13 2:35 am
Please don't say w.a.t.e.r.m.e.l.o.n in my presence. If I could live on one food exclusively, it would be this luscious round fruit. In maintenance I will partake.

A
mary d
on 2/26/13 7:18 pm

There was never a time when I ate all protein and very little veggies.  Yesterday I threw a few snow peas in the microwave for about 1 min. and snacked on them.  I eat blackberries just about everyday.  I know I have much more capacity than someone just out, but eating just protein makes me feel sluggish and grumpy and actually makes my stomach acid.  There are many folks who just don't like veggies and eating just protein might be easier for them.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/26/13 8:01 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I am four and a half months out and I have always included vegetables in my diet even during purees and soft food stages. Cauliflour mash, broccoli, green beans, roasted peppers, eggplant and zucchini. Cooked carrots, Swiss chard, etc etc etc. I have recently started making salads and using lettuce a lot as wraps and to vehicle tuna and other "sandwich" like things. I think veggies are super important. I will eat fruit also now and then. Mostly apples and pears and the occasional mandarin or a slice of orange, berries of course. There is room in our diets for this the further out we get from surgery and as long as we don't compromise the protein. Yesterday I had 3.5 oz of the most amazing filet mignon of bison, packed with great lean protein, and three grilled asparagus spears. Awesome dinner. I think it is totally doable and adviseable to eat vegetables and low glycemic fruit.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MuttLover
on 2/26/13 9:04 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I do the same as Wantmylife.  Meat, a few pieces of veggies. Then a couple of strawberries, blueberries or raspberries with yogurt.  Completely within my calorie/protein/carb plan.  Just stick to the super low carb fruits and veggies if you are worried. 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Jackie T.
on 2/26/13 10:11 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

My surgeon said for those of you who need/want a little vegetable/fruit to take two bites protein, one bite vegetable, two bites protein.  She is of the opinion that most people can not live on just protein out of boredom so do not deprive yourself because they are good for you.  Just remember to always eat your protein each day.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

hollykim
on 2/27/13 12:33 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

My best advice is to leave it out of your diet till maintenance. Please scroll down thru this post and see the explination I gave to another poster. GL

Most Active