Sleeve vs Gastric Bypass

msangie76
on 3/1/13 10:38 am

Hey guys! I have a HUGE decision to make. I am having trouble deciding if I should have the sleeve or gastric bypass.  My doctor told me the decision is up to me but he prefers the gastric bypass.  I have been scheduled to have the gastric bypass but have backed out in the past. Now I have a choice and I don't know what to do!! Please, let me know what influenced your choice!!

horrible_monster
on 3/1/13 10:47 am
VSG on 02/27/13

VSG is "pill friendlier" and my understanding is that it's a simpler operation. (I had mine the day before yesterday and overall I'm feeling very well.) I appreciate that I won't be mal-absorbing anything or dealing with "dumping" syndrome, but I've heard that for some people those phenomena are what's attractive about the gastric bypass.

What do you really want, more than anything, out of your bariatric surgery? (I'm confident you'll make the choice that's right for you.)

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Thumper71
on 3/2/13 10:17 am - NY

The two biggest factors for me, in opting for the sleeve, was that (according to my surgeon) with the bypass I would never be able to use NSAIDs again, and with my arthritic joints, that just wasn't practical... The other factor was that, as I understood it, the weight comes off a bit slower, so my hope is that I won't NEED any kind of skin removal after I reach my target weight. 

As to the "dumping syndrome," my surgeon said that was still something for me to be careful to avoid by following my diet guidelines.  I had my surgery on 2-18-13, and the first day after was fine... the second day absolutely sucked.  I was sick, sore, didn't want to drink ANYTHING... so, that first two or three days at home were pretty poor in terms of fluid and protein intake.  Now I'm doing fine, just oh-so-ready for the next stage of my diet... EVERYthing just calls to me (I hate that our culture revolves so nearly-entirely around food)... I'm ready to kill for some tuna/chicken salad, or even just A SALAD!

MacMadame
on 3/1/13 11:41 am - Northern, CA

I was self-pay and there as no way I was going to pay MORE money for a RISKIER surgery that didn't give better results.

Though once I decided I wanted the sleeve, I went out and found a sleeve surgeon and not someone who prefers the gastic bypass.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

lunarose
on 3/1/13 11:59 am - Newhall, CA

For me the decision came down to which surgery had the least amount of life long issues. With the by pass you have to worry about obstructions, mal absorption syndrome, dumping and like the others have said their are issues with certain medications that you can not take with a bypass. NSAIDS and a certain class of cardiac drugs and anything that is time released are not allowed with the by pass. With the sleeve you are left with a fully functioning digestive system. The sleeve also has less complications and easier recovery. The big thing to me was hearing that originally the sleeve was the first step to by pass for the super obese who could not have by pass done safely at their weight.  The sleeve can also be revised to by pass.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/1/13 1:21 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
The sleeve is not part one of the bypass. It is part of the DS, duodenal switch, which is completely different to the bypass in terms of type of intestinal rerouting. A revision from the sleeve, if necessary, is most often to the DS and rarely to the bypass, mostly only in severe GERD cases.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/13 1:04 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

The surgery itself is less risky, the complications afterward are less risky, the vitamin absorption is less risky, and the weight loss stats are pretty darn close. It's a no brainer.

pineview01
on 3/1/13 1:42 pm - Davison, MI

For me the sleeve was a no brainer.  Originally I had to choose between the RNY and the BAND.  The Band was a disaster.  Once I herd they were doing the sleeve I fought to get it.  The two have about the same outcome but, the sleeve doesn't have near the risk or complications.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tab047
on 3/1/13 11:57 pm

Hi! I am in the same boat.  I had RNY scheduled last July and backed out the week before.  I haven't lost any weight since then, and I am now considering the sleeve.  I have been researching and feel the sleeve is less risky and I am feeling less scared about having the surgery than I did about the RNY.  I suppose it comes down to the individual and what they want.  Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide. 

VintageChick
on 3/2/13 8:05 am
Sleeve was my top choice, however, I'm going with RNY after two surgeons recommended it because of acid and bile reflux I already have. RNY is best for that. Maybe ask your surgeon why he is recommending RNY over the VSG for you?
Most Active