Months before surgery

rbrown116
on 3/3/13 8:41 am - IA
VSG on 08/08/13

Sorry if this question might be posted somewhere else, but with so many posts  it's hard to go through all of them!! 

I am currently doing my 6-month diet with my PCP, and I have one weigh-in left.  My doctor put me on a 1200 calorie diet, which is pretty hard right now. I have managed to lose a few pounds, and I haven't gained any. My doctor made the comment at my last appointment that he doesn't know if insurance would approve me because I really haven't lost any weight. 

I understand that a week or two pre-op there is typically a diet that must be followed, but at what point do people start really REALLY trying before surgery? My last weigh-in is April 1st, and I feel like I should be doing more.. like choosing protein and doing shakes/smoothies. Should I hold off until I get closer, or is now the time to figure this stuff out?? I'm just wondering what others have done because I feel so lost at times!! Help!! 

a_gritters
on 3/3/13 9:30 am
VSG on 03/19/13

OK, obviously you know me :p considering we have the same insurance... I didn't lose any weight in my 6 months pre-op in fact I actually gained a couple.  I still got approved and your doctor is making you go through many more things than I ever had to go through.  You know my story, it's not easy.  I will say that after the sleeve most people will tell you to be on a 400-800 calorie diet, can you imagine being on that right now???  1200 calories with a regular stomach is still very hard.  Just do your best.  It never hurts to look into some things and start trying some proteins and shakes etc, but alot of people will also say that their tastes changed after surgery so some things we like now may or may not be good after surgery.  Just do your best!

HW 315; Surgery Date 3/19/13, SW 300.5;  PreOp: 14.9, W1-4: 21.2, W5-8: 15, W9-12: 13.4, W13-16:

pineview01
on 3/3/13 10:51 am - Davison, MI

My DD actually gained on her 6 month doc supervised diet.  Is it the PCP or the Bariatric Dr. saying you won't be approved because you didn't lose?  I have heard here some Bariatric Surgeons require a certain % weight lose to go forward.  But, the insurance needs to see you tried under the supervision of the PCP or other supervision.  She didn't lose until the two week liquid diet.  I on the other hand lost a lot on the supervised diet and was also approved.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

rbrown116
on 3/3/13 11:05 am - IA
VSG on 08/08/13

Thanks for the info! It was my PCP that made that comment. When talking to the surgeon and the nurses in his office, they have said that it's not necessarily about how much you lose but that it shows that you are trying. It's just frustrating. I feel like I'm not doing enough to get myself prepared. I emailed a nurse in the surgeon's office the other day, so hopefully I will hear back from her in the next few days so I know if I'm on track!! 

Most Active